How do I cut image and have no background?

CH
Posted By
Cayleen_Haarala
Apr 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I did this once before, but, can’t for the life of me remember how I did it. Let me explain what I’m trying to do. I took a picture of a camera and 2 CDs next to each other. I want to be able to "cut" these out and separate them from the background. I don’t want them to have a background at all. I want them "free" from any background. Does that make sense? I did this a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I didn’t make any notes as to how to do this and now I cannot recreate what I did. I know I used the polygano lasso tool, did a copy and paste thing I just can’t figure out how I got it to appear without a background (even white). Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cayleen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 12, 2004
First, double click on your image’s background layer in the layer palette. That will make it an actual layer. Then when you select area and delete, it will delete to "nothing" (transparent), instead of to the background color.

Mac
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Apr 12, 2004
Mac’s solution is good, but you do want to inverse the selection (Select>Inverse) before deleting, so that you delete the background and not the selection.
CH
Cayleen_Haarala
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks Mac. I still can’t get it to work. I’m starting with the original image. Clicking on the layers palette>background layer and renaming it to layer 0. Then I’m going back to the image, selecting the area with the polygano lasso tool. When I click on the background, the area I selected vanishes. When I invert the selection the background vanishes. That’s what I want it to do, but, then when I save it and open it onto my DVD labeling program, it opens up with a white background. What am I still doing wrong? Thanks.

Cayleen
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 12, 2004
I spelled this out in detail earlier today in response to another inquiry. See here: <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.2cd12b1f/1> Ken
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 12, 2004
Cayleen,

When you save your new image you need to save it as something other than a jpeg. Jpegs don’t save the layers … they just flatten your image so you end up with a white background. Try saving it as a psd instead.

Wendy
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 12, 2004
What file format are you using to save, then open in the labeling program? Not all file formats support transparency. Jpg does not.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 12, 2004
Only a few formats support transparency…and will be dependent on the program you are bringing it into.

TIFF (with transparancy checked)
PSD
GIF (but only 256 colors)
PNG

I think that’s all?

At any rate, if your labeling proggie doesn’t recognize tranparency in any of these, you’ll just have to work around it by making surrounding color something that will blend in to whatever you’re trying to make.

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 12, 2004
Cayleen you have this going under two threads – check the other one.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections