MP
Posted By
Michael_Parniawski
Apr 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone tell me if their is or will be support in Elements for Nikon NEF file format ? This is Nikons version of RAW .

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 12, 2004
Nikon has plugin that works in Elements.

Mac
MP
Michael_Parniawski
Apr 12, 2004
How do you get it ? What is it called ?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 12, 2004
Did you get any software called Nikonview with your camera? I did a Google search for this and came up with references to the plugin being included with "Nikonview". You might also want to check out the forum that I think is called nikonians. There’s a link below to one of the threads where they’re talking about using this plugin with Photoshop. Elements 2 is based on PS 7.0, so any information on PS 7 should be applicable to PSE 2.

<http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID71/2733.html>

I’m not a Nikon user so can’t really help answer specific questions, but Googling does wonders!
R
Roberto
Apr 13, 2004
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:37:58 -0700,
wrote:

How do you get it ? What is it called ?

I found a file named ‘Nikon NEF Plugin_5x.8bi’ on my Nikon View CD (or maybe in the folder where it’s installed). Copied that over to ….\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Plug-Ins\File Formats.

And that lets PS2 open my NEF files. I do get a warning that says "This document is in an unsupported color depth … "

B
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 13, 2004
See Beth’s follow.

NikonView is supposed to install plugin. But some folks have said they have to manually copy the plugin file to Elements plugin folder once NikonView is installed. It would be a SomeName.8bf or similar file.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections