DP
Posted By
dyuob_poltice
Apr 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there an easy way to add a torn paper effect to an image edge using PSE2? If not an easy way, I’d settle for just about any way possible at this time. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 11, 2004
<http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/torn/torn.htm>

I’m not going to say this to insult you, but rather to let you know that often if you do a Google search for "Photoshop Elements torn paper edges", or other effects you want to achieve, you’d be amazed at the results that pop up! I’ve found some really neat things that way, because once you find a site that has what you’re looking for you often discover other neat things you’d never thought of.

And I’m sure this isn’t the only technique, but it is one. Other people may be along with other instructions. I think there might even be one in Elements you can use, but this was faster!
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 11, 2004
Adobe Photo Deluxe had a page curl filter in the program. I brought this filter in to Photoshop Elements v.1, and it works there. I don’t know if it would work in Elements v.2. I have it in C>Program Files>Adobe>>Elements>Plug Ins>Effects. If you have access to Photoshop Deluxe, you may want to bring it in to Elements. This may be what Beth is referring to.
Ken
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 11, 2004
I think that was floating around in my head somewhere, Ken, but I couldn’t get it to stop so I could see what it was! Thanks for reminding me, because I’ve got an old PhotoDeluxe laying around here someplace, too.
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 13, 2004
Beth is right, there are hundreds of tutorials online. I found them just the way she suggested, with a Google search for "Photoshop Elements tutorial". By the way, many of the tutorials for the full Photoshop program can be used for PSE2 also. There are some things PSE2 doesn’t do, like "Actions", but it’s amazing how many "work around" techniques there are. PSE2 is a fabulous program. It’s not hard to learn the basics, but it does take time and practice to become creative.
JR
John_R._Collins
Apr 14, 2004
Hi Dyuob,
Here are twomethods for getting the desired effect:
Method 1:

1) Open new layer and colour it.
2) Open new layer white.
3) Open picture and duplicate it.
4) Activate selection brush tool and choose in default group Chalk 60.
5) Switch off top picture layer.
6) Activate picture on second layerlayer and select around edge of picture to make irregular edges.
7) Cut.
8) Activate white layer.
9) Activate selection brush tool and choose Chalk 60 again. 10) Work on reducing white overhang so that just a tiny bit of the white will show after cut. 11) Choose Calligraphy Flat 60 (reduce to 30) and fine tune the white vertical edges. For the horizontal egdes, choose Flat 28.
12) Repeat with the picture layer if necessary to rough it up. 13) Link and merge the ragged picture and white layers.
14) Move your creation (merged) to your new background.

Method 2

Get your photo/paper image into a new document that’s larger than the photo/paper image. You need empty space around the outside edges.

Ctrl-click the photo/paper layer to select it.
With the photo/paper layer active and the selection going, add a Layer Mask to the layer.

Use the Lasso Selection Tool and manually draw a jagged edge along the side(s) of the photo/paper that you want to look torn/frayed. Repeat this if needed until you’re happy with the ‘look’ of your jagged selection. Be very random and exaggerated with this jagged selection.
(see example image below)

When you’re ready to continue, fill the selection with black. Then Feather the selection by 10 pixels. Don’t Deselect.

Now under the FILTER menu, choose "Brush Strokes>Sprayed Strokes". Set the Length to 20, Radius to 15, and Direction to ‘Right Diagonal’, and tweak the Radius up/down if you like, until you see the type of ‘frayed’ edge effect you’re happy with. Then apply the filter. And then apply the filter once more (Ctrl+F).

Now under the FILTER menu again, choose "Brush Strokes>Spatter". Set the Radius to 13 & Smoothness to 8. Play with them if you like to tweak the ‘look’ to your tastes/needs. Then apply the filter. Then Deselect.

If you want/need to "clean up" any part of the frayed edge(s), simply paint using white onto that area in the Layer Mask. That’ll remove the filtered effects.

TIP: If you need this frayed edge to actually be applied to your photo/paper directly, instead of just being on a layer mask, then simply delete the mask. PS will ask you whether to "Apply the Mask" to the image first or not, click "Apply". In PS7 you can also just right-click (Mac: long-click) the mask and choose "Apply Mask".

Have fun,

John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections