NK
Posted By
Neil_Keller
Jul 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for a digital photo viewer to take on trips for reviewing a photo session and/or showing off photos to friends and family. I prefer it to have a large, bright, finely detailed screen, and SD support would be required. Zooming in to see photo detail and relatively fast transfers are also important. Raw support (Nikon D80) is also a plus. Music, Internet connection, very large hard drive, or other non-photo functions are purely secondary and would not be missed.

I’d go for the Epson P-3000 if it weren’t a relatively bulky 1 lb. I can get a refurb for $375. I’ve also considered the Apple iPod Touch 8 GB, but I’d rather swap the non-photo features for, say, a 16-30 GB hard drive for the 8 GB price.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jul 25, 2008
I’d go for the Epson P-3000 if it weren’t a relatively bulky 1 lb. I can get a refurb for $375.

Neil, for $387 I went with a laptop, brand new, not refurb. If it’s too big for you, don’t bother reading the thread:

Ramón G Castañeda, "ALERT: Bargain: laptop for storing images in the field" #1, 30 May 2008 5:29 pm </webx?14/0>
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks, Ramón.

But, ideally, I’m looking for something pocketable.

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 25, 2008
I was going to say get a used iBook but that won’t fit in your pocket.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 25, 2008
iphone
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 25, 2008
digital photo viewer to take on trips for reviewing a photo session and/or showing off photos to friends and family. I prefer it to have a large, bright, finely detailed screen

large, bright, finely detailed screen for me means a laptop; for reviewing a photo session for me again means a laptop, but the huge LCDs on the new D300/D700/D3 Nikons also excel at that, much improved over my D2x and your D80. For showing off photos to friends and family an iPhone or an iPod work very well if you want pocketable. Personally I use a Macbook Pro with external drive as well as a 2G iPhone.

Note that memory cards are cheap enough now to be utilized for field storage of images.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2008
Note that memory cards are cheap enough now to be utilized for field storage of images.

I always manage to run out of cards, even when I carry nearly 30 GB worth.

DVDs and CDs are cheaper and less likely to get lost.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 25, 2008
Allen,

Good points. A laptop, while a good idea under other circumstances, is not something I wish to schlep around. As for feature-laden phones, I really only need, well, a phone.

I’m not ready for another Nikon yet, although the features of the new models are very attractive. The iPod Touch, though, seems to be a good direction, and I’ll hit an Apple store with a couple of full SDs and SDHCs to check it out how good screen imaging is. The downside is that I don’t believe I can view raw images. I can wait till the fall to see what the new choices are.

Again, the only thing keeping me away from the Epson P-3000 is its bulk and weight. If anyone has other pocketable devices they use and like, I’d still like to hear from them.

Thanks!

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 25, 2008
Ramón,

I also travel with plenty of high-capacity HD or HDSC cards — but attaching them to lengths of twine and running that twine up through and across my shirtsleeves keeps me from losing them. <g>

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 26, 2008
DVDs and CDs are cheaper and less likely to get lost.

Cheaper for sure, but a slow PITA to burn, and of course one needs a burner. I like OWC’s Mercury-to-go portable drives for backup, IMO much preferable to CDs/DVDs.

As for likelihood of loss, I have never lost a CF card (stored in CF card wallets) but have lost or damaged many CDs/DVDs. Fortunately I have not yet had to deal with the tiny SDHC cards; using wallets I doubt if I would lose one, but they just seem hard to handle for someone like me with large hands.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 26, 2008
I want to repeat: Apple alleges a major new product intro by early fall, so you may want to wait and see what it is. IMO something smallish and capable of dealing with images is fairly likely.
R
Ram
Jul 26, 2008
Neil,

The idea of drilling holes through my CF cards just so I can string them like a lei, does not particularly appeal to me, frankly. 🙂
R
Ram
Jul 26, 2008
and of course one needs a burner.

That’s why I bought the frigging laptop, Allen.

Can you believe it burns DVDs and CDs?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 26, 2008
Allen and Ramón,

Of course, my SD cards are smaller than your CF cards. (Hmmm….sounds like a contest!) <g>

But we should all be thankful we don’t have to deal with fingernail-sized Micro SD cards!

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 26, 2008
Allen,

Apple alleges a major new product intro by early fall

Yep…understood. This is not an item I need to purchase today. Thanks.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 27, 2008
Can you believe it burns DVDs and CDs?

Pretty amazing deal.
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2008
😀 LOL!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections