LK
Posted By
Leen_Koper
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today I made a group photo and one of the people involved had a white shirt with blue stripes. Now I have a shirt with orange coloured moiré.

Is there any way to remove this?

Leen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 9, 2004
Leen, per Scot Kelby’s "The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers":

1. Select the area showing the moire pattern; feather 1 or 2 pixels
2. Do a Layer>New Layer via copy
3. On the new layer, choose the Gaussian blur filter and starting with the slider at the far left, drag it to the right until the moire pattern disappears.
4. Change the blend mode on this blurred layer to Color. Supposedly, the moire pattern will be hidden by the blur and the object will look normal again.

Chuck
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks Chuck, that’s really fast. You must be able to type with twenty fingers. I will try this technique tomorrow provided I have time. The whole day has been fully booked, even Sunday I have to work all day. 😉

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 9, 2004
I hope it works, Leen; the white shirt might be a challenge, though.

Don’t wear yourself out working!
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 9, 2004
Chuck, working this way is BIG FUN.
Most forum members have it as a hobby in their spare time and I get even paid for it!

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 9, 2004
Leen, that’s terrific! And the more you enjoy it, the better your results and the happier your customers. Life is good!

🙂
SR
Schraven_Robert
Apr 10, 2004
Leen and chuck,

What is moiré?

Robert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 10, 2004
Robert, it’s kind of a wavy pattern of adjacent lines, sometimes looking like a shooting target. Not sure why it happens.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 10, 2004
Here’s a small example:

< http://discover.edventures.com/functions/termlib.php?action= &termid=1276&alpha=m&searchString=>

Yeh, I know. If I’d learn HTML it wouldn’t stretch the page, but…
SR
Schraven_Robert
Apr 10, 2004
Beth and Chuck,

Thank you for explaining this effect to me.
It reminds me a bit of what happened in old movies with cars driving past. The wheels of the cars seem to be spinning backwards. This is also a perception of the mind rather than a real occasion.

Does this moiré effect go away or does it mean that the image is not usuable?

Robert
PA
Patti_Anderson
Apr 10, 2004
I found this article. I don’t know if the about the plug-in it mentions works for Elements, but the picture gives you a good idea of the problem.

<http://www.dbphoto.net/moire/page2.htm>

I sometimes scan fabrics to use in my quilting software and I see this moiré effect a lot. I was told it was caused by the way the different angles of reflected light bounce off the texture of the fabric.

Patti
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 10, 2004
As far as I know it is a kind of interference between the pattern of the fabric and the alignment of the pixels. Sometimes you can see it in clothes on television too.
The effect of the wheels turning the wrong direction in movies is caused by the time lag between the various images in relation to the images per second.

Nevertheless, three times hurray for Chuck!
It really worked and I was able to remove the orange tone in the images. Funny however: the striped pattern in the shirt now is often under a 90 degree angle to the original striping.
😉

The subject, wearing this shirt, is my webmaster; we had a good laugh about it. I told him to wear another shirt when giving the image as a present.

Thanks again Chuck and everyone else on the forum.

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 10, 2004
Robert, the technique described by Kelby and also Martin Evening (see first response to Leen in this thread) apparently works on some images. I don’t think I have one with a moire (sorry, I forget the keyboard sequence for the accent over the e) to try it.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 10, 2004
Leen, I’m glad it worked, even if it changed the pattern of the shirt….

Do you remember when black and white TV performers couldn’t wear white shirts, always light blue instead??

Thanks are due to Scott Kelby for documenting the technique; all I did was look in his index and there it was.
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 10, 2004
Now my dillemma: either buy the books by Scott or Martin (I met him, a really nice guy) or rely on this forum.
I think I ‘ll go for the latter as this is the best way to keep in contact with so many nice people.
Doing both is not an option, as I might be able to find al the answers myself. 😉

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 10, 2004
Leen, if you keep making your wonderful contributions on the creative side, those of us without those skills will continue to try to provide technical advice from our libraries and experiences. A great trade-off!

🙂
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 10, 2004
It’s a deal!

Unfortunately i have very little time available lately -that ‘s why I hardly contribute to the Challenges-, but I ‘ll do the best I can.
😉

Leen
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 10, 2004
In TV moire is caused by fine patterns and the angle of the camera. It can usually be minimized or reduced by reducing sharpness of focus.
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 10, 2004
So, I suppose about the same as in digital photography.The detailed information cannot be reproduced because of lack of resolution of teh sensors and the resolution of a TV screen and the software isn’t able to figure out what is the right reproduction.

Leen
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 11, 2004
When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
That’s a moire !

Mac
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 11, 2004
Mac

You should be ashamed of your self …. dam I wish I had thought of that line.

g.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 11, 2004
Have to admit, I didn’t create it, have seen it before, but always a good yuk…

Mac
MS
milo_stewart
May 5, 2004
I have the same problem with patterned jackets…what’s the best way to select just the jacket?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections