JB
Posted By
John_Bernadt
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was told the answer to my problem was posted, but I have spent 30 minutes looking and can not find it.

"Could Not Complete this Operation because a File by this Name already exists."

Out of the clear blue, I got this error message and I have tried the following: (th eprogram had been working well for months.)
1) Powered off the computer and rebooted.
2) Went to a System Restore Point when the program did work.
3) Uninstalled and reinstalle Photoshop Elements (1).

Nothing works, no matter how simple the animation is or if it is loaded or created new.

I have over 64 gig hard drive space, have 2.6 process., Windows XP HOme

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 9, 2004
John, did you go through the Reset Preferences routine?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 9, 2004
I tried a search by your name and didn’t find this question posted before. Was it under the name currently showing (John Bernadt) or maybe under a screen name? Usually a search of your own name will get you to your question and make it easier to find the answer, but I didn’t have any luck with that method. I did think I remembered a thread on that, but a quick scan of the topics didn’t turn up anything. Was it a new thread you started or a question you tagged on under another one?
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 9, 2004
Yes, I did Alt and Cont plus "Save as Web…" Then I reset the preferences.

I even installed Photoshop Elements 2, even though I have not learned 1 that well. I STILL GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE!

P. S. I didn’t mean that I had seen a posting about this problem; someone on a group site told me that he thought he had seen the problem answered on this site.

Thanks!
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 9, 2004
John,

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2cd10934>

This recent thread talked about the same error, but the original poster has not responded in a while, so we don’t know if the advice worked.

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 9, 2004
Did you reset the overall preferences for the program? (Shift-ALT-CTRL on startup)
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 9, 2004
Chuck, I tried several times to use those three keys on Elements 1 and had no luck, so I tried them on Elements 2 and did get the chance to reset the overall preferences, but to no avail.

Byron, I tried that reply you posted the address for, but could find no Temp folders that allowed me to deleted "Save for Web" items.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 9, 2004
John, do I read into this that you’re encountering the same problem in both Elements 1 and Elements 2? That would seem to point more in the direction of a Windows problem, but I wouldn’t know where to begin troubleshooting that.

Chuck
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 9, 2004
Yes, both of them do the same thing.

I tried to find Cache and did notice that I had Paint Shop Pro listed twice, which is odd since I don’t have the program, but I am assuming that I loaded into elements an animation that was made with PSP 7, so I deleted the two items in cache, but that did no good.

Yes, it could be a Windows problem, but I would have thought System REstore would have solved that.

Thanks.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 9, 2004
Make sure Elements brower is not running in background.
Make any diff?

If not,find all incidences of psicon.dll
You may have two.
rename to psicon.old
(and don’t have brower running either).

Make any diff?

Mac
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 9, 2004
Ok, yes I do have two (2) files listes as psicon.dll.

But before I change them, I am need to ask you what you mean by "broswer." I have nothing minimized and I am not accessing the web while I run these programs.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 9, 2004
Under "File", there’s Browse, which will let you look at thumbnails and information about image files. If you haven’t had it open and nothing is minimized that’s not the problem. (Handy feature if you haven’t found it yet, though.)
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 9, 2004
See Beth’s post.
We’re referring to the Elements File Browser.

Mac
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 9, 2004
I changed the two files ending in .dll to .old, but no luck. I had never used the browser before; guess I hadn’t realized what it did.

Thanks. If any of you ever run across the solution, please keep me in mind. Thanks for your advice and help!
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 9, 2004
I changed the two files ending in .dll to .old, but no luck.

And you rebooted and all, I guess.

Oh, well. That has been a fix for lots of folks using full Photoshop 7 and earlier.

back to the drawing board.

Might as well rename them back, then, if you want thumbnail generation by Elements in Windows Explorer as an option (that’s what the file does).

Mac
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks for the try!

I tried two more System Restores (Home XP) and uninstalled Elements 2 and Elements 1 and reinstalled Elements 1. I can save an animation, but there is no way that the program will let me click on the internet icon to preview, slow down, check, etc. I get the error message every time.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 10, 2004
A new slight problem to add to the main one–when I try to change the psicon.dll files that I changed to psicon.old files, back to psicon.dll files, I get the error message that I can not have two files by the same name. Any suggestions?
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks to all of you who helped me. I took the time to read and copy and paste all directions in the previous thread on the very same problem that I was having! My problem was that I could not find the Save for Web folder by using Search, so I gave up. However, when I used Search-Run-%temp%, I found the right folder.

John,

<

This recent thread talked about the same error, but the original poster has not responded in a while, so we don’t know if the advice worked.

Byron

If people follow the instructions about deleting Save For Web folders, as posted on the other thread. it should work. I had to delete exactly 1000 folders–that must be the limit–but the program does not tell the user that!

thank you thank you thank you!
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 10, 2004
John,

Thank YOU for posting back…

You probably noticed in the other thread that I was kind of pushing Sno’ to try that — don’t know if s/he ever did.

I am so glad that it worked out the way I suspected it would. (I wonder why Elements does not clean up after itself in the temp folder.) Given the error message, and the way I observed SFW to work, it seemed logical but there was no way for me to prove it without your assistance.

Time to start using the program instead of trying to fix it!!

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 10, 2004
Byron, way to follow up! That’s one for the FAQ’s….

Chuck
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 11, 2004
Don’t know if it still matters or not, since it looked like you fixed your prob, but the only reason you would get that notice is if there is already a psicon.dll file in the same folder.
I get the feeling that maybe you copied the file before renaming the first time, or some such.

Bottom line is, you can’t have two files with exactly same name in same folder (even if they really aren’t the same file in reality). But you could have hundreds of files named psicon.dll, as long as each was in a different folder.

psicon.dll allows Photoshop/Elements to generate a thumbnail view in Windows Explorer, other than that, it’s not needed. It caused so much trouble in the past that it was left OUT of Photoshop CS, by the way.

Mac
JB
John_Bernadt
Apr 11, 2004
Very good point–the thing that threw me off was that before I changed the .dll to .old, I DID have two files exactly the same name, but now I understand what you mean–the first time they were in the same folder, but somehow I put them in the same folder when I tried to rename them. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections