IA
Posted By
i_am_jim
Dec 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When the healing brush came out (and every since) it has been heralded at a gift to mankind. As a result I keep trying it again and again, always failing to see it great virtue. I’ve used the clone tool for hundreds, probably more than a thousand hours and I almost always find it a superior tool to the healing brush. About all the healing brush seems to be good for is small blemishes surrounded by a uniform textured area at some distance from any other pattern.

A major problem is that it picks up any adjacent lighter or darker tone and smears it into the ‘healed’ area.

In Martin Evening’s book ‘Adobe Photoshop for Photographers’ he says you can select the area you want to clone to separate it from the adjacent area and this will prevent the smearing/bleeding He even gives an illustration of doing this. But, I don’t know how he made that illustration because it doesn’t work for me. In the example below the white area on the left was selected with no aliasing or feathering, to separate it from the black area. Then I sampled a spot toward the left edge as the source and "healed" the smudged spot you see near the boundary between the two areas. Obviously, the selection did not prevent the smearing/bleed over.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1102/healingbrushdemohi0.gi f

Because of the white background, it may not be obvious, but this is a rectangle divided roughly in the middle. If you download it you can see the entire rectangle.

The healing brush seems to restricted to a precious few carefully selected uses, most, if not all, of which can be done equally well with the clone tool. So, why does everybody think the healing brush is such a great tool?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DR
Donald_Reese
Dec 7, 2006
You dont know how to use the tool properly. forget how the clone tool works and learn the healing brush as its own tool. you clone from the area along the line and you will get no bleed. there are very few instances were you cant use the tool to get the job done,so dont write it off till you get the jist of it.
T
Talker
Dec 7, 2006
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 15:11:37 -0800, wrote:

When the healing brush came out (and every since) it has been heralded at a gift to mankind. As a result I keep trying it again and again, always failing to see it great virtue. I’ve used the clone tool for hundreds, probably more than a thousand hours and I almost always find it a superior tool to the healing brush. About all the healing brush seems to be good for is small blemishes surrounded by a uniform textured area at some distance from any other pattern.

A major problem is that it picks up any adjacent lighter or darker tone and smears it into the ‘healed’ area.

In Martin Evening’s book ‘Adobe Photoshop for Photographers’ he says you can select the area you want to clone to separate it from the adjacent area and this will prevent the smearing/bleeding He even gives an illustration of doing this. But, I don’t know how he made that illustration because it doesn’t work for me. In the example below the white area on the left was selected with no aliasing or feathering, to separate it from the black area. Then I sampled a spot toward the left edge as the source and "healed" the smudged spot you see near the boundary between the two areas. Obviously, the selection did not prevent the smearing/bleed over.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1102/healingbrushdemohi0.gi f
Because of the white background, it may not be obvious, but this is a rectangle divided roughly in the middle. If you download it you can see the entire rectangle.

The healing brush seems to restricted to a precious few carefully selected uses, most, if not all, of which can be done equally well with the clone tool. So, why does everybody think the healing brush is such a great tool?

Hi there jim. I’m no expert on Photoshop, but I have been using it for a good while, and the Healing Brush is a fantastic tool. It just sounds like you’re using for the wrong purpose.
I use the clone tool to remove any blemishes, scratches, cracks, or whatever from a picture also, but the Healing Brush smoothes out the colors for me.
Let’s say you have a picture of a person’s face, and there is a crack running through it. You can repair the crack with the clone tool, but it’s not always easy to match the skin tones in the areas you cloned over. If you use the healing brush, you can smooth out those mismatched tones. The healing brush is supposed to clone the texture from another area, not the color.
When you click on the healing brush, select an area to clone from that’s uniform in color, like a white background. When you select the area to clone to, make sure that as you’re cloning, the clone from area doesn’t move to a different color than the white background (or whatever color you picked to clone from.) If you can’t get a large enough area to clone from, uncheck the "Align" box and clone in short strokes.
The Healing brush clones the texture from one area to another area, then, it blends the colors in the area you cloned to.

Talker
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 7, 2006
None of the healing tools like being used near edges. Edges of your image or edges of the document. You will get the smearing you are talking about. Read the online help about the tools. They are for use under certain curcumstances and DO NOT replace the clone tool.

Robert
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 7, 2006
Donald hit the nail on the head. You have to know your tools. The only way is practice, practice, practice.

With the Healing brush; dab, dab, dab is good – or strokes in the right direction to avoid picking up unwanted pixies.

I think after about 12 hours practice you will start to get the hang of it.

When you do you’ll never look back.

BTW, it was never meant to replace the Clone Stamp tool!

PS: I like pixies 🙂
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Dec 8, 2006
Also you may want to try turning down the hardness of the brush a little bit in the brushes palette, try changing the angle of the brush to follow the direction of any pattern, etc in the image and also heal on a new blank layer (click on sample all layers in the control bar) then use blending modes and opacity to blend the heal.

Also try using the "full tip brush" with crosshairs turned on (Edit>Preferences)
S
Smitty
Dec 29, 2006
I too can use the clone tool much better than the healing brush. Smitty
"Talker" wrote in message

T
Talker
Dec 29, 2006
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:08:43 -0600, "Smitty"
wrote:

I too can use the clone tool much better than the healing brush. Smitty
"Talker" wrote in message

As others have said, the Healing Brush is not meant to replace the Clone Tool, but should be used in conjunction with it. You use the Clone Tool to remove any unwanted objects in the picture, then use the Healing Brush to smooth out the colors in the cloned area. If you need to use the Healing Brush near the edge of an object, you need to keep the brush size fairly small and you need to set the Clone From Bull’s-Eye, right on the center of the edge to prevent any bleeding of one color into the next.
It’s the same as using the Clone tool to clone out a blemish on the edge of a face. You center the Clone From Bull’s-Eye on the edge of the face, right next to the blemish, then center the Clone To Brush over the edge of the face where the blemish is. When you click to begin the Clone To action, the edge of the face is drawn over the blemish, keeping the edge intact.
That’s what you do with the Healing Brush.

Talker

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections