Posted By
Joey_Caso
Jul 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS3.
I try and go to Filters and multiple filters are missing as well as the Extract Command and the Filter Gallery.
Is there any way I can find these or recover these items.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jul 24, 2008
Did you do something unwise like moving the Photoshop icon out of its application folder, or the Photoshop folder out of your root level Applications folder, or did you create any subfolders to organize hide any of the above?

In CS3 the default install location MUST be scrupulously observed and respected.
JF
john_findley
Jul 24, 2008
Sounds like your image is 16 bit. Try reducing it (them) to 8 bit and see if your filters return.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2008
If the filters are missing, as opposed to just being grayed out, it’s not a color depth issue.

It sounds like he moved things around.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 25, 2008
Joey,

Per Ramón’s observation, did you rename or move any of the installed Photoshop app components or folders?

Neil
JC
Joey_Caso
Jul 29, 2008
Sorry for the delay in responding.

As far as I know I did not move anything. At this point I’m not sure if I should try and reload this or not.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Later,
Joey
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 30, 2008
Hi Joey,

Try looking in Applications > Adobe Photoshop CS3 > Plug-ins > Filters. Are the filters missing there? The Filter Gallery should be in Plug-ins Effects. Any luck or are they missing? In trying to figure out what is wrong, the first step is to figure out whether the Application is not recognizing the plugins or if they are missing.
JC
Joey_Caso
Aug 4, 2008
Hi Welles –
Adobe Photoshop CS3 was not in Applications when I looked so I put the CS3 Application CD in and "loaded" it again.
I then went to look for Adobe Photoshop CS3 again in Applications, and it was present. However, when I looked in the filters folder the missing filters were still not present.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joey
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 4, 2008
The only thing I can suggest would be to completely eliminate the current flawed Photoshop installation and start over. I’d consider first deactivating your current installation so you don’t get troubled in the future by running out of activation attempts. Then use the uninstaller which Photoshop places in a folder in Utilities. Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers > Add or Remove Adobe Photoshop CS3. Once you have completely eliminated the flawed installation, then do a new install and once PS is installed don’t move any files from the default location where they are installed originally.
JC
Joey_Caso
Aug 6, 2008
Hi Welles-
Thanks for the assistance, however, I don’t want to mess around with the program right now, as I need it for a class I’m taking. When the class ends, in about 2 weeks, I’ll do as you suggest, and get back to you.
Thanks again,
Joey
JC
Joey_Caso
Aug 20, 2008
Hi everyone.

I am pleased to report that the problem has been solved. The program was installed incorrectly, and that was causing all the problems.

Thank you for all your help,
Joey
R
rachelab
Aug 24, 2008
I have the same problem, except my filters ARE in the folder. How do I get Photoshop to recognize them?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 24, 2008
rachel,

I see you’re new to the forums. For us to give you the best help, you need to tell us your system hardware, OS, and software setup, down to the version numbers. We would also want to know if anything was changed/updated/deleted on or happened to your system just prior to the problem. And if you reset your Photoshop preferences. And if it is with all types of files or only certain ones.

Otherwise, all I can suggest is that the filters are not compatible with the version of Photoshop you’re now using. Or your trying to use some filters with CMYK or 16-bit images.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections