CS3 Photoshop/Illustrator will not load in XP/Mac Parallels, Acrobat, Fireworks, Dreamweaver will

JF
Posted By
Jeff_Faski
Jul 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS3 Web Premium in Windows XP(SP2), running under Parallels 3 on the Mac. It worked fine for a couple of days and now Photoshop and Illustrator will not load. Each program gives the "encountered a problem and needs to close" message. Acrobat 9, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, do load though.

I tried deleting prefs, removing all fonts, and also re-installing CS3 Web Premium but neither Photoshop nor Illustrator will load.

Anyone have a similar problem or know of a solution?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jul 23, 2008
I realize you are using a Mac but the OS and apps are Windows. I think you just might get a better answer over on the Darkside where folk are more familiar with Windows and the associated problems.
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for the note and I agree. I had posted this originally in the Windows forum and the first note back to me from another user suggested that I also post it in the Mac forum!
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2008
Best Mac advice I can give would be to get a crossgrade and stop dabbling with the Darkside.

B)
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Jeff,

Unfortunately, we can’t really tell yet if it is a Win problem (Photoshop) or a Mac problem (Parallels). But as the application runs on XP, I’d probably pursue it in the Win forum first.

Meantime, the topic here is still open and if anyone here has some insight, you’ll see it when you stop by.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2008
Might this have something to do with Activation?

Perhaps Adobe considers that you are attempting to use a Windows version of Photoshop as an unauthorised Crossgrade on a Mac computer so the installation just times-out after a couple of days.

I suggest that you call Customer Service and see if they can offer any further insight on what’s happening.
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks. It is odd that other programs from CS3 Web Premium work fine. My guess is that it is an XP/CS3 issue but it seemed to start happening after Parallels crashed so who knows.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 23, 2008
Crossgrades are done by installing a separate version of Photoshop designed for a different platform. Installing the Windows version of Photoshop in a virtualized Windows environment on Mac hardware is not a crossgrade (authorized or not).

It may be easier to contact Adobe to obtain a crossgrade to a Mac license so that you can run Photoshop without the overhead needed to also run Windows. However, it is understandable if you need to run Photoshop in Windows.

While this Adobe tech document < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 400950&sliceId=2> covers Vista, most of the troubleshooting steps are applicable to XP.
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for the cross-grading ideas. I already have the Mac versions of the software on the Mac side of the machine. It is a long story why I have both Mac & PC versions (with different serial numbers) on the same machine.

Unfortunately, I need to solve this issue with the PC versions of the software.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 23, 2008
I just noticed your mention of crashing Parallels. It is very possible that you have a general corruption of the hard disk image file. I’m not too familiar with Parallels but you might have a virtual disk repair tool.

As a preventative measure in the future… after installing a fresh, stable functioning system with the apps all doing what they are supposed to do, back up the hard drive image file (.hdd) and VM config files. If you decide to refresh your install of the OS and apps, be sure to deactivate CS3 from your current VM.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 23, 2008
Jeff,

Unfortunately, I need to solve this issue with the PC versions of the software.

If you have the Mac version of the software already installed, I’m not fully understanding why you also need to install the Windows version on the same machine.

Moving on…how many activations do you have with the Windows version of the software?

Neil
L
Lundberg02
Jul 23, 2008
You have given no details of your system. Parallels is notorious for insufficient and crashing RAM problems. CS3/PS is a RAM intensive application.
If you have less than 4 gB, buy more if your box will hold it.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 23, 2008
Actually Parallels is a piece of s— that will crash XP running anything, you should have gotten VMWare Fusion.
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 24, 2008
I have 16GB of RAM in a Mac Pro I just bought a few months back.
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 24, 2008
I have two activations for that license, one on my Mac desktop and one on an actual PC. The PC programs work fine on the PC. Also, all programs in CS3 work fine except Photoshop and Illustrator, both of which unexpectedly quit/crash when launched.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 24, 2008
I’m not fully understanding why you also need to install the Windows version on the same machine.

* Trainers or authors that need to prepare materials for both platforms. * Web developers who need MSIE to test and ASP to serve. * Engineers that cannot run CAD apps in OS X
* Designers that need to support Windows-only clients

Notice which apps are not working. Acrobat 9 allegedly uses a new activation process. Dreamweaver and Fireworks are recent additions that may not have the same activation as the legacy Adobe apps. While there is no explicit activation error message, that might be the problem. A befuddled VM disk image after the crash may have messed the hidden activation data. A fresh VM would be ideal.
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 24, 2008
I reinstalled Parallels, uninstalled CS3, ran Adobe Cleaner, reinstalled CS3. When I opened Photoshop, it let me type in my serial number and then promptly gave me the same error message, "Photoshop encountered an error and needs to close."

FYI: I need both Mac and Windows versions so I can prepare both Mac and Windows screenshots for training documentation I am creating.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jul 24, 2008
The steps you took do not describe a refresh of the disk image. If you are using the same (possibly corrupted) disk image, you may continue to see the same error. Reinstalling Parallels did not do anything to your existing XP disk image.

To confirm this is a corrupted disk image, install XP on a new disk image file and then see if you get any further with the Photoshop installation. It appears that you may
JF
Jeff_Faski
Jul 24, 2008
I agree that is the next step. I did not have time to get to that yet. I was making sure there was not another solution before going that route, contacting Microsoft to de-activate the current install of XP, reinstalling it, reinstalling all the software, etc.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 24, 2008
Jeff,

FYI: I need both Mac and Windows versions so I can prepare both Mac and Windows screenshots for training documentation I am creating.

Thanks — I thought that might be your specific situation. Just wanted to confirm it.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections