CS
Posted By
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A mildly annoying problem developed in the aftermath of some ‘housekeeping’ I did on my PC. One of the programs I uninstalled was Netscape, which I haven’t used for years and years. Immediately thereafter, whenever I use Save for Web, it goes into a search for Netscape. I hit Cancel and it moves forward and works fine. No big deal, but is there any way to get it to stop looking for Netscape? And why is it doing that in the first place?

Not a big deal; just wondered if anyone can shed some light.

Chuck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BG
Byron Gale
Apr 8, 2004
Chuck,

Save For Web has the ability to preview your "webbified" image in your browser. There’s a Preview In… button below / right of the "after" picture which kicks off the preview. I have both IE and Netscape installed, so I have a drop-arrow next to the preview button which allows me to choose which browser to use for the preview. Your PSE must have been aware of Netscape in conjunction with this feature, and probably tries to find it so that it can offer you the choice it always has given.

Just a guess, but maybe you could reset your SFW preferences to clear it up. Hold down ALT+CTRL and then click the SFW icon to start SFW.

….or not… ;-p

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 8, 2004
Byron, thanks for the tip. I kinda solved the problem myself by walking away from the screen…. I started Save for Web, then heard my TV program was back on. When another commercial came, I returned to the screen to find a message that the program couldn’t find netscape.exe and did I want to delete the shortcut? Clicked yes; problem gone. I had never let it run out before…

🙂

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 8, 2004
Chuck,

Good to know! Glad it worked itself out.

Byron
ED
Eva_Deck
Apr 8, 2004
Using Windows ME. I found that I could change my browser choice "in save for web" by going to Program Files|adobe|photoshop elements2|helpers|preview in. That file lists the shortcuts that are used. You can delete a shortcut or add one.

I also struggled with Photoshop’s looking for Netscape 4.7 after I changed my browser to Netscape 7.1.

Hope that helps.
Eva
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 8, 2004
Eva, thanks very much for that file name. After going through the process described earlier, I find that the folder now contains only the shortcut to Internet Explorer, which is what I want. All is well!

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
May 20, 2004
Eva,

I just uninstalled Netscape the other day, myself, and SFW kept complaining about it, just like Chuck’s original post.

My memory told me that we had discussed it not too long ago, so I searched out this thread.

Chuck’s method of letting it time out and offer to remove the shortcut didn’t work for me. After mine timed out, it would offer to re-associate the shortcut with another application. It was that or Cancel. I wonder if that’s a difference between XP and Win98.

Your method, though, worked perfectly.

So, after all this time, thanks!!

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
May 20, 2004
I should have mentioned – I tried resetting the SFW preferences but that did not fix this.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 20, 2004
Byron,

Have you tried to make your new browser the Windows default browser ? I think it’s in the Internet Option of the Control panel, somewhere in there.

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
May 20, 2004
Hi, Ray.

It is not that I have a new browser, I simply removed Netscape – leaving only IE6 on the system.

IE6 has always been my Windows default browser, and that has not changed. The only minor malfunction was with SFW, and that’s a thing of the past since I followed Eva’s advice.

Thanks,

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections