DM
Posted By
Dmitry_Mikheyev
Jul 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I don’t know if you still need this. It could be useful for whoever else gets this error. I just had this problem too. I had a couple of very complex paths imported from Illustrator and I think other vector masks just took the file over board, so that when I next opened it I received that same message: "Could not complete task because the path is too complex" Here is a workaround that I found.

You can still use the Move Tool(shortcut key "v") to select layers and there are a couple of things you can do with it.

1.You can create a new PS file of the same dimensions (and most importantly same resolution or the scales will be different).
a) make sure the "corrupted" and the new files are side by side or overlapping so that you can see edges of both…
b)Right click the erroneous document and choose the layer you want to move from the context menu. (You may get the "path too complex" message again when you do anything with the document, just click "ok")
c)Click and drag the layer from old document into the new.
d)Continue with all layers if desired.
2. Figure out which layer(s) might be taxing the document with paths and either move just that one into a different document or delete it.
a)To delete go to "Layer" menu –> "Delete" –> "Layer"

It worked for me. Best if you are in the habit of naming your files.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections