Posted By
John_R._Collins
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

I’ve been having fun with PE2 and have posted 5 of my latest 8.5X11 picture collections after returning from warm Florida back to chilly Totonto.
Any critiques would be welcome. Go to www.photo.epson.com and put my email address in the "friend" slot. Click on the travel album. My email is: . Remove the "nospam" part.

1) This is sort of an arty collection except for the unedited canoe picture at Hillsborough State Park Fl. I saw the canoists coming and ran under the bridge to catch their reflection. Harbortown lighthouse was artified using techniques borrowed from myJanee. The folded map also used a myJanee technique (what a great site she has!).

2) This is the map seen in 1) above that I created via MS Streets and Trips which includes my granddaughter Sophie’s face. I took her decolorized photo and via filter/blur/smartblur (edge only) got a line drawing of her face. Then, I borrowed roads and stuff from the map to place over her features. (I really do need to get a life.)

3) As it says, these are night scenes near the beautiful Harbortown lighthouse. I was lucky with the lighthouse picture. (The boat picture was rushed as everyone in my party was rushing back to our car and weren’t particularly interested watching me fiddle with camera position and exposure.)

4) Dodecanese Av is the not-to-be-missed street in the historic area of Tarpon Springs Fl. Lots of interesting sponge and coral shops.

Enjoy,

John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 7, 2004
John, very well done – I really like your collages! And the picture of the Great Horned Owl chick is priceless!! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Chuck
BL
bob_lemon
Apr 7, 2004
Nice collages, John. I’ve been toying around with an idea of a sort of coffee table book made up of grand kid pictures. You gave me some new ideas. Thanks for showing them.
T
Timaccer
Apr 10, 2004
John,

Very impressive!! Just returned from a cruise, and think I’ll try a collage of my own – you’ve inspired the creative side of me!

Timaccer
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 10, 2004
John,
Those are really neat. You have given me the idea to try this. Thanks.
Ken
LM
Lou_M
Apr 12, 2004
Hey, the grandchild-Sophia-as-map is *really* slick! How did you do the highway-around-the-head? (This would be easy to do in Illustrator, building up the outline stroke in different colored widths. But how did you do it in Elements?)
JR
John_R._Collins
Apr 14, 2004
Hi Lou,
Re the "Sophie Map", the original map came from MS Streets and Trips which I saved as a jpg file and then opened in PE2.
I opened a new picture (File/New) and set the size to 8.5×11". The map was dragged onto this blank and stretched to fit with a small border. A picture of Sophie was opened and the following was done to it:
a) Duplicated this layer.
b) Removed the color on the duplicated layer and then checked the little black-white item in the lower left hand corner of the tool box.
c) Filter/blur/smart blur/quality high/edges only.
d) Push ctrl-i to get a white picture with black lines.
e) You don’t want too much detail in the face- mainly outlines, so play with the numerical settings and try again.
This next step is a possible improvement on what I did.
In the layers palette, link the two layers.

Now, the fun begins:
Drag the Sophie picture onto your map, position and resize it. Use the color picker to get the brown color for the 4 lane roads.
[Now, use a firm small brush (5 pixels) and paint a tiny line beside the highway to get the exact width of this outer route line.
If wrong, erase it and try another size. When satisified, remove it. I then selected the outline of her head.
Edit/stroke/width (determined in previous step), middle setting. OK. Repeat the previous steps for the middle of the two lane road but this time make sure that in the stroke menu, "outside" is chosen before stroking.
Repeat for the outer line on the four lane roads.

The rest is just newly created roads, adding little map squares by copy/paste etc. I may have copied some road names form the map and pasted them in place.
I selected the white parts of the outline and painted them the same color as similar areas on the MS map.
To colour the eyes, you can use the selection brush over the eye(s) and then erase the area so that her eye colour and character show through from the lower layer.

Have fun,
John
JR
John_R._Collins
Apr 15, 2004
Lou,
I just remembered that to outline her head, I activated the lower (photo) layer and used the magic want to select the area outside. I forget what the background was. Then I selected the inverse and then activated the outline layer.

John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections