BB
Posted By
Barnaby_Blatch
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have just installed Photoshop Elements. On clicking the Coonect to Camera or Scanner button, the Import pop-up menu does not offer any digital camera name in the Select Import Source dialog box. If offers PDF File and 3 other categories, but no cameras. The camera is a Fujifilm S3000. The camera software, correctly installed, is FinePixViewer 4.1
What to do?
Barnaby Blatch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jhjl1
Apr 6, 2004
The consensus in this forum is that you are better of using a card reader. Elements doesn’t actually store your image so you would need to save it elsewhere regardless. There are many fine programs for archiving and searching for images that allow for a good filing system. Adobe and Jasc both offer good album programs that you can try. Within Elements you can open your image through file>open, file>browse, file>open recent or the file browser. Hope this helps.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Have just installed Photoshop Elements. On clicking the Coonect to
Camera or Scanner button, the Import pop-up menu does not offer any digital camera name in the Select Import Source dialog box. If offers PDF File and 3 other categories, but no cameras. The camera is a Fujifilm S3000. The camera software, correctly installed, is FinePixViewer 4.1
What to do?
Barnaby Blatch
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 6, 2004
Barnaby,

This assumes you are using Windows. Others, particularly who have the same camera, may have better info for you but, as I understand it, only those devices that show up in Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras (or perhaps Imaging Devices in 98) will appear under Import.

In the case of my Olympus D-550 I use the software that came with it to connect to the camera and then save the images in the folder(s) of my choice. Then I open them in Elements with file open. Another option is to use a card reader or the camera as an external device via usb. You can then access directly thru My Computer and move them to a folder on the hard drive.

Word of caution if you connect the camera directly. At the very minimum be sure you have a fresh battery charge. The best solution would be an external power source but even that can fail. If the camera loses power while connected you may permanently damage it or the card. Card readers powered from your USB port are cheap and handy and a great safety measure.

Bob
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 7, 2004
jhjl1 – 09:17am Apr 6, 2004 Pacific wrote:

The consensus in this forum is that you are better of using a card reader. Elements doesn’t actually store your image so you would >need to save it elsewhere regardless.

I use a card reader. It automatically opens PE2 and downloads images to there. Is this the way it is supposed to happen? AND at what point and how should I save the downloaded unedited, unenhanced, uncorrected images to my hard disk or a CD for future use?
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 7, 2004
Jim,

My card reader simply appears as a "Removable Disk" with the next available drive letter under Win XP or 98 when I plug it into an available USB port. At that point I must manually access the images as if they were on CD or the hard drive with Explorer or any application thru the file open command. Are you on Windows and if so what version?

I’m in the market for a USB 2.0 reader to speed things up a bit. What brand and model card reader are you using? Did software come with it? The fact that it opens PE2 sounds very handy.

To answer your second question I would save the images you want immediately on opening them to either the hard drive or a CD or both. I back up to a CD-RW temporarily until I have enough to mostly fill a CD-R and then restart the CD-RW.

Bob
J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
You should download and save the original files immediately upon inserting the card in my opinion. Even though I can set up XP to open images from my card reader in Elements, Photoshop 7, PSP 8.1, Capture One, Jasc Photo Album, etc, etc. I find it easier to save to hard drive and then access images. While you can work within the Elements browser to create folders and move files I find it is not the easiest way to do so. Just my opinion.

My workflow: FWIW
1. Create new folder with date as name.
2. Insert card in reader.
3. Copy/Paste new image files into folder.
4. Convert RAW files to TIFF / Convert JPEG’s to TIFF.
5. Archive original files.
6. Open TIFF’s in image editor and make needed corrections

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
jhjl1 – 09:17am Apr 6, 2004 Pacific wrote:

I use a card reader. It automatically opens PE2 and downloads images
to there. Is this the way it is supposed to happen? AND at what point and how should I save the downloaded unedited, unenhanced, uncorrected images to my hard disk or a CD for future use?
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 7, 2004
James,

Not that I would necessarily want to do it but I’m curious. How would you configure XP to launch Elements, etc when the card reader is attached or am I misinterpreting? I’m still learning XP from 98 and every little bit helps.

Thanks,

Bob

PS: Somehow I missed your first post in this thread so I duplicated.
J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
When I insert a card or any removable media I get a window asking me what I would like to do. The options include open with and a list of programs including all image editing or viewing programs. You have the option to select always do the selected action, place a check mark there and choose edit pictures using Photoshop Elements.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James,

Not that I would necessarily want to do it but I’m curious. How would
you configure XP to launch Elements, etc when the card reader is attached or am I misinterpreting? I’m still learning XP from 98 and every little bit helps.
Thanks,

Bob

PS: Somehow I missed your first post in this thread so I duplicated.
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 8, 2004
Bob,
I use a san disk reader. It is USB 2, but my computer has no USB 2 ports. I get a notice each time I use it that I will be suffering an unbearable loss of transfer speed, but given the info I’m transferring, if I blink, I miss it, so I don’t sweat that. A software CD did come with it, but since I use XP, the note is I don’t need the software.
See my response to Jhhl1 for more.
Jim
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 8, 2004
Sorry, I’m new to this forum software. See my response to Bob Caruther.
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 8, 2004
I didn’t configure the card reader to open PE2, it happened as if by a miracle. After reading other posts on this subject, I wish it wouldn’t happen that way. It makes more sense to save the original download to a hard disk or other source, then open the pictures I want to work with in PE2.

Can someone ‘splain how I’d do that?

Thanks.
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 8, 2004
Can someone ‘splain how I’d do that?

Jim,

Insert the memory card in the card reader. Click Start >My Computer. Click on Folders. Now you have a directory tree on the left of your screen. Under My Computer should now be a Removable Drive (x:). x is a drive letter like E or F or G. There will be as many removable drives as there are slots in the reader. Click on the + on each of these drives. One will have subfolders. One of the subfolders has your pictures in it. Click on it and you have list (or thumbnails) of the pictures in the right pane. Highlight the pictures you want to take to your hard drive. Click Edit>Copy. In the directory tree click on the + next to My Documents. Click on My Pictures. Click Edit>Paste and the pictures will be in the My Pictures directory. You may want to create a different folder under My Pictures, so can keep the pictures categorized by date or subject or something. Finally you open PE2 and open the picture you want to work on via File>Open…

HTH
Juergen
JS
Jim_Solt
Apr 8, 2004
Thanks Juergen for very clear instructions. Would I be correct in saying that when PE2 opens and displays the pictures on my card, they are not being downloaded, just viewed?
Jim
J
jhjl1
Apr 8, 2004
You are correct Jim.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Thanks Juergen for very clear instructions. Would I be correct in
saying that when PE2 opens and displays the pictures on my card, they are not being downloaded, just viewed?
Jim
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 8, 2004
Yes.
They are in memory in Elements and only still exist as file on the card. The file on the card is at this point completely unchanged.

Mac
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 8, 2004
Right. Thanks guys, I was away for a little while.

Juergen

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections