GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Some users have not changed the clock on their computers so the time stamps on their post is messing up the order of the threads. So please do us a favour and set your clocks.

Now the rant. Many years ago during the great war Canada gave the world Daylight savings. This is an abomination, something that I am ashamed to admit it is a Canadian invention. It was done to give the farmers in rural Saskatchewan more daylight to work their fields. The whole world has been confused with questions of "it is spring do we move it forward or backward.." Canada has convinced the world about the dubious benefits of this vernal ritual. The whole world that is with the exception of those wise farmers in Saskatchewan who don’t observe daylight savings. Get a life any true farmer sets his day by the sun not the ticking of a clock.

Grant

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 4, 2004
I have a wonderful soft spot in my heart for Arizona and this form of sanity only adds to that.

Grant
MO
mike.osullivan3
Apr 4, 2004
wrote in message
Mine changes automatically, too. Even the clock on the kitchen wall was
right when I got up this morning! πŸ™‚

Whoops, I still haven’t changed the one in the car!
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 4, 2004
The time stamp on the posts in the news reader is off here. They used to be in real time (ET) and now they are an hour ahead…?? This message is posted at 11:56 EDT.

Juergen
JD
Juergen_D
Apr 4, 2004
Well it just got corrected. It’s funny though, Grant’s response to Robin’s post now shows up1 hour prior on the news reader.

Juergen

wrote in message
The time stamp on the posts in the news reader is off here. They used to
be
in real time (ET) and now they are an hour ahead…?? This message is posted at 11:56 EDT.

Juergen

JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 4, 2004
Grant, my PC changes it automatically…I was pissed off this morning when I woke up and found that I had lost a freekin hour !!! I can’t afford it πŸ™‚
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Mine changes automatically, too. Even the clock on the kitchen wall was right when I got up this morning! πŸ™‚
RS
Robin_Schold
Apr 4, 2004
I agree completely. Who benefits from daylight savings time? I always thought it was a conspiracy to befuddle the massas … notice how it happens right before taxes and elections.

At least Arizona maintains its sanity.

Robin S
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 4, 2004
Guess I’m a contrarian (no surprise): I look forward to Daylight Savings time each year and loathe Standard Time. In the dead of winter, I have to go to work in the dark, come home in the dark…..and, of course, am kept in the dark all day.

Chuck
J
jhjl1
Apr 4, 2004
I’m with you Chuck, I enjoy the time in the evening to be outside in the garden.

Have A Nice Day, πŸ™‚
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Guess I’m a contrarian (no surprise):
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 4, 2004
Our clocks changed the other week … confusing isn’t it πŸ™‚

Wendy
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 4, 2004
Indiana doesn’t do Daylight Savings Time. My sisters live 70 miles apart in South Bend, IN and Kalamazoo, MI. They have a one-hour time difference part of the year. I think it’s time to get rid of this stupid anachronism.
Bert
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 4, 2004
Chuck,
Well why not make Daylight Savings Time permanent, then? Bert
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 4, 2004
Bert,

Our kids are in Indiana and they say there is a concerted effort in the legislature to change to DST. So, Arizona may become the lone holdout. It may well have been the farmers in Saskatchewan, but I’ll bet the "tourism" industry would have a cow if the states tried to go back.

Dick
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 4, 2004
Leen

Mark my words "digital photography is just a flash in the pan". Give it 150 years and it will be replaced buy 3D memory implant matrices …. or pigment and cave walls, depending on how well our leaders will handle our future.

Grant

The only constant truth in this universe is "And this too shall pass"
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 4, 2004
Dick,
Why do you think the tourism industry would be upset by abolishing DST?
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 4, 2004
Well, I guess because the later hour of daylight would give more people a chance to drop their bucks at an attraction. After all most of them open well after sunrise regardless of Standard or Daylight time so they can stay open later and attract more visitors.

Dick
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 4, 2004
DST is very beneficial to portrait photographers as well. Now I am able to produce environmental portraiture after my clients working hours.

Chuck, I too still remember the days I didnot see any daylight at all in the almost forgotten days spent in the darkroom. Digital end DST, a very welcome combination.

Leen
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 4, 2004
I’m with you, Chuck. I wake up at 5 AM, and I’m happy when we change the time, because I can hear the birds signing, instead of the dreadful alarm clock… Hehe!

Grant,

What’s the matter with one hour.. ? Given an average life expectancy of 70 years, for example, one entire life represents 613,200 hours. Otherwise said, this one hour you’ve been ranting about represents 1/613,200th of your life… With that insignificant change in mind, I surely don’t want to be around you when they retire your favorite tv show, or when you receive your income tax bill! πŸ™‚

Ray
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 4, 2004
Grant, usually I am an optimist, but I am afraid our leaders will lead us back to the caves again.

Fortunately this will stop industrial pollution to, bring an end to global warming, a new ice age will start and we will be practising our batting skills on pinguΓ―ns again.
And, we, visitors of this forum will be prepared for these times as we did practise quite a lot ahead.

πŸ˜‰

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 4, 2004
Bert, permanent daylight savings time would work for me. However, the criticism around here is that in December and January, it’s dark in the morning until very late, creating more of a hazard for kids heading to school. I can buy that…..so we’ll continue to spring ahead and fall back.

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Some people just seem more resistant to change than others, don’t they Ray? πŸ™‚ I happen to like Daylight Saving Time, too, but I can also see the frustration of the farmers.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 4, 2004
I have no problem with DST when it’s fall cause then I get an extra hour to be alive for a day……just don’t like losin’ it in the spring πŸ™ ….
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 4, 2004
Bob, good point! But first I have to find the manuals so I can figure out how to make those changes…..

While I’m at it, I suppose I ought to try to set the time on the VCR…….nah……I like the blinking 12:00!!

πŸ™‚
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 4, 2004
One thing… It’s also time to check and / or replace the fire detector’s battery. If you’ve done it last time you change the time on your clock, then it’s already been six months!

Ray
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 4, 2004
And did everyone (except Indiana and Arizona) remember to change the time in your Cameras and Camcorders? Have to keep those timestamps accurate!

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Oh, geez, Chuck, how "guy-ish". Our VCRs don’t have any blinking lights. I bet Jodi’s doesn’t either, or Barbara’s, or Nancy’s. πŸ™‚
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 5, 2004
Time to invite some guests over for dinner.. nephews and nieces will do the job for a piece of chocolate cake and a glass of milk (below 18 y.o., that is!)

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 5, 2004
Ray, another good suggestion!
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 5, 2004
Chuck,

Don’t even look for the manuals. They may still be available on the web in PDF format. So much easier to use.

Ray,

Thanks for reminding me. Now if I can just keep from falling off the ladder.

Beth,

Either you’ve been an hour fast in the kitchen since last Fall or do you have one of those atomic clocks that gets the time via radio signal? Wish I could get that signal. I’d replace every clock in the house.

Bob

PS. In this high tech world I’m up to 20 devices that have to be set. At least both PC’s are automatic.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 5, 2004
Ray

I have not be ranting about the loss or gain of an hour but the inconvenience of the forum not being synchronization.

But as to the Value of Time:

To realize the value of ONE YEAR
Ask a student who has failed his exam.

To realize the value of ONE MONTH
Ask a woman who is eight months pregnant.

To realize the value of ONE WEEK
Ask an editor of a weekly.

To realize the value of ONE DAY
Ask a daily wage laborer.

To realize the value of ONE HOUR
Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To realize the value of ONE MINUTE
Ask a person who has missed the train.

To realize the value of ONE SECOND
Ask a person who has just survived an accident.

To realize the value of ONE MILLI-SECOND
Ask the person who has won a silver medal in the Olympics.

To realize the value of ONE NANO-SECOND
"Ask a Hardware Engineer"!

And then, if you still don’t realize the value of time
you must be a Silicon Valley Software Engineer !!!

Grant
JC
Jane_Carter
Apr 5, 2004
Yes this is the time to check our fire and smoke detector batteries, and my husband will change them even tho they are not low.
But in retirement, I dont care what the clock says, as we get up early anyway, and go to bed when we feel like it, early when the weather is bad, and the dog does the same.

The dog perhaps has more time regulation here than the clock does! Who is the time boss around here!
And the early morning is so nice, head out on the bike, or walk down thru the swamp and listen to the animals and birds before the rest of the world wakes up. The heck with the clock.
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 5, 2004
Does an atomic clock automatically set the hour hand in addition to the minute hand? I always figured it would just be the minutes; otherwise, how would it know where it was to set the hours based on time zone?

Hmmm…..
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 5, 2004
Yes, I love that atomic clock! Finally one that doesn’t require getting out the stepstool.
J
JPWhite
Apr 5, 2004
The main problem with changing clocks for me is that twice per year I have to travel to work on **SUNDAY** (i.e 2day) to change the clocks that are NOT automatic, such as telephone system, Security system etc etc.

However there are so many systems that now change automatically, if we did away with clock changes, I’d still probably have to make the trip to unset the clocks that reset themselves.

Is there no end to this madness!?!

Bloody Canadians.

JP
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 5, 2004
In response to a couple of questions about "atomic" clocks. Of course, they aren’t really atomic. The time is updated via satellite based on a Cesium (standard) maintained by the NBS I think.
I have a small desktop one that my wife gave me. One of the settings is Time Zone. That’s how it knows where it is. I think it only updates once a day around noon. This morning when I got up, it was still on standard time. We were gone most of the day, and when I came back this evening, it was on DS time. Sneaky devil.
Bert
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks for the reminders on changing batteries in smoke detectors, etc. I would add to the list…sprinkler controllers.
Bert
MM
Michael_Moody
Apr 5, 2004
‘s funny. I just posted a comment about the poor (mostly dead) folks in Chernoble (See thread about woman photographers) and ran onto this one – one of the longest threads in recent weeks about cow time. Yep, I like it, but it isn’t quite as important anymore.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 5, 2004
As long as we’re doing reminders – has everybody got the time changed on their automatic setback thermostats? That’s the one I usually forget. Except I didn’t this time.
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 5, 2004
Yep, Beth, you’re right. I forgot that one!
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 5, 2004
Here’s a link <http://www.time.gov/> to the U.S. timekeeping site, including a Java app that displays the current "atomic" time, good to the nearest second or so. Also some interesting links for time geeks.
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 5, 2004
And a reminder for all of you that have WindowsXP, that feature is built in. Double click on the time in the system tray, click on the "internet time" tab in the properties window, tick the "synchronize" box and choose your time server.

Dick
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 5, 2004
And a reminder for all of you that have WindowsXP, that feature is built in.

Dick,
My old machine running W98 updated to DST automatically also. When I turned the machine on yesterday, I got a notice that the time had been updated.
And thanks, Beth for the reminder on the thermostat. I forgot that one too! Bert
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 5, 2004
Bert,

I was really talking about the synchronization feature in XP, it will automatically synchronize with NIST.gov on a regular basis.

Dick
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 5, 2004
was really talking about the synchronization feature in XP, it will automatically synchronize with NIST.gov on a regular basis.

Oh, sorry Dick. I thought you were talking about DST update. I have XP on my other machine, and I didn’t know about that feature, though.
Thenks.
Bert
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Apr 6, 2004
Bless the Canadians! I love Daylight Savings Time. I can do something in the evening besides eat and go to bed.

MLee

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections