WJ
Posted By
William_Jay
Nov 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m hoping for some expert advice here. I am new to the digital photo thing, I notice that when I take pics in my 10.2mp camera RAW always, and transfer them to Photoshop, it says the resolution is 300dpi??? is this correct, because I was told to print professional prints to my PIXMA9000 I needed a resolution of 720dpi to 1000dpi.. are these #’s correct or am I looking at something wrong? I’m trying to print prof quality prints of 8×10 and 13×19. please help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Nov 29, 2006
A resolution of 300 ppi is plenty for most pritn applications.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 29, 2006
You are confusing two different resolution ratings. PPI is referring to the number of Pixels Per Inch in your image. That can be controlled and adjusted using Photoshop. DPI is referring to Dots Per Inch that are printed from your printer. The two are not related. Generally speaking, 300 PPI is adequate for any printing on a normal inkjet printer. I have an older HP printer that has an option for a special type of printing. Whenever I use it I get a message that the option is designed primarily for images that have a resolution of 600 PPI or higher. I have tried using it a couple of times, but haven’t been able to see any difference in printed image quality.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 29, 2006
I was told to print professional prints to my PIXMA9000 I needed a
resolution of 720dpi to 1000dpi..<<

You were lied to…

300 ppi is more than enough. It’s very doubtful if you could see any difference going down to 240 or even 200 ppi.
RN
Robert_Noyes
Nov 29, 2006
Were they trying to sell you a hard drive also?

Bob Noyes
WJ
William_Jay
Nov 29, 2006
Robert, Yes they were. I appreciate all of your inputs, So when I am in photoshop and I crop to 8×10 with 300dpi thats more than enough for a very profesional print on the pixma pro9000 dye printer?

THanks again.
B
Bernie
Nov 30, 2006
On any printer, IMHO
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 30, 2006
Remember you are not talking about setting the DPI in Photoshop, you are talking about setting the PPI. They are different, completely different. DPI refers to how many dots your printer will put in an inch. PPI refers to how dense the pixels are in your image. PPI is the one that you have control over in Photoshop. You have no control over the DPI.

But if you are still unsure about this, go ahead and print a couple of images at the different settings, in the size you are interested in, and compare them for yourself. Then you won’t have to take anybody’s word for it; you no longer have to rely on the opinions of others. I think that is worth making a couple of prints.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections