Posted By
Michael_Carnegie
Apr 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey Gang,

Which colorspace should be used for printing to an inkjet? Thus far, I’ve converted to sRGB for printing to my Canon i960, but I’ve been wondering if aRGB would be a better choice.

Mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 7, 2008
Michael,

How about Adobe RGB.

Neil
MC
Michael_Carnegie
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks Neil,

That was my original question. Would Adobe RGB (aRGB) be a better choice for printing to an inkjet. Is this what you use? My thought was that any 6+ cartridge printer should be able to handle the full Adobe RGB color gamut, but maybe I’m just plain wrong here.

Mike
CB
charles badland
Apr 8, 2008
Not the full, but does better than sRGB. Make sure you have AdobeRGB as your workspace while editing (or some other wider gamut space). It does no good to work in sRGB then convert to AdobeRGB just to print.
GB
g_ballard
Apr 8, 2008
the original space is likely the best space because conversions degrade color information

the source space is converted to the print space anyway…
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 8, 2008
Michael.

I just wasn’t sure what you meant by "aRGB".

I agree with Charles and G. Start with no less than Adobe RGB for its wide gamut (or a wider gamut if available) and that should yield top results for your inkjet.

Use OEM inks and top quality OEM or third-party papers and their profiles.

Neil
R
Ram
Apr 8, 2008
While the above replies are fine for someone at Michael’s level of grasp of color management (and perhaps for his particular model of printer, with which I am not all that familiar), for the sake of clarity and for those reading this thread before it disappears in 6 or 12 months, I’d like to point out that Adobe RGB is not the ideal space for top quality inkjet prints.

As Jeff Schewe likes to put it, ProPhoto RGB is the only space real men use. 🙂

Seriously, with high quality digital capture, whether from top cameras or film scans, one definitely gets better results working in ProPhoto RGB. I’ve used nothing else for years, ever since Bruce Fraser pointed me in the right direction.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks, Ramón, for the additional insight.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections