JH
Posted By
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My new Mac Pro (early 2008) running the latest Mac OS X 10.5.2 consistently freezes whenever I display an image in Photoshop CS3 (10.0.1) in Full Screen Mode and then try to drag the image around using the Move tool. I’ve got the factory-installed NVIDIA 8800 video card running a no-name 17" monitor and a Dell 20" 2005FPW monitor.

Everything but the cursor will freeze — all apps and the Finder — for at least 30 to 45 seconds and often permanently. This only happens on the 20" monitor. And nothing else seems to be going wrong on my machine — no other symptoms in Photoshop or anywhere else.

This happens even though I’ve tested using a completely fresh system installation with a fresh Photoshop installation on a new, internal HD in this brand new machine. It happens with any image. It happens with the original Apple RAM only, and with 3rd party RAM only. I’ve run DiskWarrior, Disk First Aid, repaired permissions, etc.

I’m completely at a loss — I don’t know what’s causing this.

Any ideas?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Apr 7, 2008
Hopefully 10.5.3 will fix this for you, although I have not noticed this running CS3 on Leopard on my G5.
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 7, 2008
Thanks for the reply — I didn’t have this problem either with my G5 before I upgraded to the Intel Mac Pro. In fact, I’ve been using Photoshop’s Full Screen mode on my Macs for years and I’m frustrated that I now can’t use it…
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 7, 2008
Oh, and I doubt a System update will fix this problem — I’ve spoken to Apple and they point out that I don’t have any freezes or problems at all with similar actions in iPhoto, Aperture, etc. The only freeze I’m getting is in Photoshop. It does sound like a Photoshop issue to me.

I checked for the problem again today and I see now that the "freeze" ends after about 40 seconds. I can then freeze everything again by repeating the action…
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2008
bummer
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 7, 2008
Adobe has acknowledged CS3 incompatibilities with OS 10.5.2, blames Apple, and states that 10.5.3 is the earliest possible resolution. Whether or not your issue relates to that I do not know. 10.5.3 beta versions are out but unless you are a registered developer I don’t know how you would get 10.5.3 to test; and in any event production work on beta software is inappropriate.

My 2006 MP is still on 10.4.11 but your 2008 box requires 10.5.x. I would build a new separate OS/apps drive, reinstall apps and OS with all updates and see what happens, but first:

This only happens on the 20" monitor.

makes the graphics card and/or that specific display heavily suspect. But Aperture works the GPU hard while PSCS3 very little. Give Aperture a hard test.
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 7, 2008
Allen — you might be onto something: my freeze doesn’t occur if I boot in Safe Boot mode, which means that one of the invisible kernel extensions appears to be incompatible with either Photoshop or my monitor. This could be something Apple is working on.

I did, by the way, try your experiment — reformatted an internal HD, installed a fresh OS from my original Mac Pro discs, installed a fresh Photoshop from the original factory disc, ran all updates on the OS and Photoshop, and did nothing else — no other software or anything. Still froze under those circumstances. Still worked fine in Safe Boot mode.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts on 10.5.3. I have my fingers crossed.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 7, 2008
Now explain exactly how you drag the image around using the move tool/

You do mean the hand tool , is that correct?

If you use the move tool not much is going to happen.

Please explain yourself better.
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 7, 2008
Hand tool, Hand tool!
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 8, 2008
Perhaps you want to toss your monitor profile and try thatas it can become corrupt.

A good way to find out is to boot into a new user account and see if the problem persist if not I would suspect the profile.
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that. Created a new user and rebooted, going straight into that user — same problem…

Apple says that if it only happens in Photoshop, it must be an Adobe problem. Adobe says that if it doesn’t happen after a Safe Boot, then it must be something in the kernel extensions and I should talk to Apple…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
Adobe says that if it doesn’t happen after a Safe Boot, then it must be something in the kernel extensions and I should talk to Apple…

That is possibly true … but do check the contents of:

System/Library/StartupItems
Library/StartupItems
and
User’s/Library/StartupItems

because something in one of those folders (and it may be a third-party/non-Apple item) could be the "villain of the piece".
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 8, 2008
THanks, Ann.

There’s only one item in any of those three folders: a Retrospect file that allows my backup software to start up on a schedule and run backups. Removing it didn’t help. Other than that, those folders are all empty…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
Did you reboot after you had removed the Retrospect file — and before trying to launch Photoshop again?
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 8, 2008
Did you reboot after you had removed the Retrospect file — and before trying to launch Photoshop again?

Yep.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
Then it is possibly an Extension (kext) problem.

See if trashing System/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache and System/Extensions/Extensions.mkext
fixes it.

And try an Archive & Install of OSX; followed by updating with the most recent COMBO Updater (from a copy that you have previously downloaded to your desktop).
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks, Ann — these are just the kind of suggestions I’ve been looking for. I’ll go through them this afternoon and report back.

If it’s any clue, I did swap the video cables at the Mac end to see if I could isolate the issue, and the bug still happened on the same monitor. This tells me first that the issue isn’t connected to one port of the video card and second that the issue is triggered by a specific monitor (or resolution, perhaps).

I wish I had another monitor in the house to swap out, but I don’t.

Anyway, later.
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 8, 2008
Um, but I don’t see any folders in the HD -> System folder other than Library. I assume the Extensions folders are invisible — how do I get to them?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
They are visible on my machine but I am running 10.4.11 on a G5 so perhaps Leopard has changed things.

However, you can always make them visible in Cocktail (in the Interface/Finder tab).
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Apr 9, 2008
No joy. I used a tool called Diablotin to remove all the extensions, System extensions and otherwise, and, after rebooting, still had the issue.

My next step is to call Apple again and ask their advice.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2008
but I don’t see any folders in the HD -> System folder other than Library.

The Extensions folder, the Extensions.kextcache and the Extensions.mkext shoud be visible inside that Library folder.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections