BK
Posted By
Brian_Kitching
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi What is the best way to improve the focus on old black & white photos? I have Elements 2 and photoshop 7.
Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Apr 2, 2004
If by focus you mean ‘sharpness’, you can start out in Elements by using Enhance, Quick Fix and Focus (Autofocus). More advanced ‘sharpening’ can be done with the Unsharp Mask under Filters, Sharpen (I know, it’s somewhat counterintuitive to call it UNsharp Mask). There are many different parameters that will work, and everyone seems to have their favourites. I often resort to

Amount: 200-500%
Radius: 0.2 (that’s POINT two, not two)
Threshold: 0

Click OK. For some pics, you might even try a second round (eg. 500% the first time and only 150-200% the second).

One final word of advice: do your sharpening on the FINAL size of picture, and as one of the last things you do. If you resize to 800 x 600 pixels for the web, for example, do that before you sharpen.
JG
Julio_Guerra
Apr 3, 2004
Brian

Really do look into Focus Magic. It does work very well. www.focusmagic.com

This is a plugin

Julio
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 3, 2004
Wow, thanks Julio. I downloaded Focus Magic, tried it and immediately registered. Its Fix Out of Focus Blur is fantastic; it is exponentially better UnSharp Mask.

For those who haven’t checked it out, it’s available for Windows and Mac OSX. The download permits you to use the filter on 10 pix before registering. The registration is $45US (other currency accepted). Drop it in the Plug-ins folder and, after restarting Elements, it appears on the Filters menu.
BI
Bill_Ihnow
Apr 4, 2004
I’m new at this and have Adobe Photoshop Elements. I have been trying to figure out how to erase scratches etc from old photos. I think I know how to start and that’s to go to Filter, then noise, dust and scratches and then selection brush. At least I think that is what I need to do. Then I am lost. What do you do with the selection brush and what do you do to actually perform the task. Would appreciate some advise. I have an Epson 3170 Scanner and an Epson Stylus Photo 825 Printer.

Bill
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Bill, how big are the scratches? For many of these old photos, there are a few places that are in need of more editing than what the filter can deliver, because it effects the entire image. Have you tried using the Clone Tool? That’s a favorite/standby of those of us who do a lot of work on old photos that have been scanned.
J
JPWhite
Apr 4, 2004
Beth gives good advice about the clone tool. There are several techniques with the clone that are useful for removing scratches. One of the most important things to make sure you do is put the clone ‘fixes’ on a separate layer (that way you can always undo or improve on mistakes later without bruising the pictures pixels).

I can recommend Katrin Eismann’s book ‘Photoshop Restoration and Retouching’. It is the ‘bible’ for those interested in working on old photos. It is aimed at the full version of photoshop but so many of the techniques work directly in Elements it still a great buy.

JP
MM
Michael_Moody
Apr 4, 2004
Julio. Wow! I’m usually skeptical about re-focusing software and disappointed when I use it. Focus Magic saved several never-to-be- repeated shots I took of the Big Boat sailing races in San Francisco Bay.

Many thanks for the heads-up.
WW
w_westfall
Apr 4, 2004
Accept my thanks also, Julio, for the heads-up re. Focus Magic. It is truly magic! Wendell

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections