LM
Posted By
linda_morvant
Apr 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using windows xp and photoshop elements 2. how do you remove spots on the background of a black & white photo from the early 1950’s.
also, when working in document window and layers palette is open, when I go to toolbox or to options bar, the layer palette disappears. should it stay open all the time or is it suppose to disappear when I go to another option? also, when the disappearing layer palette is re-opened from window menu, the layers I put in the palette are no longer there. how do I save the layers in the layer palette?
thank you for any solutions to my problems. I’ve only been trying to use elements for 2 weeks. I wish elements had an outline from start to finish for coloring or retouching photos.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
Pete_D
Apr 1, 2004
Linda,

Concerning the layers palette; Click on the "file tab" where it says "layers", hold, and drag it down on to your workspace. You can move it around as needed or by double-clicking the blue bar at top you can shrink its size.

As far as the B&W photos;

I would start by looking at levels adjustment by selecting (from the menu at top) Enhance / Brightness and Contrast / Levels. When that screen opens move the left slider to the right under the tallest peak. Then move the right slider in to the left under the tallest peak on that side. All the while watching the effects on the picture. Finally move the center slider if necessary.

That will clear a lot while maintaining the integrity of the photo. Then if there are remaining defects use the clone tool; use the brush tool (but first the eyedropper to get the right color); and there are a few other tools that may help like dodge and burn.

Start with this and come back with any further questions:)

Pete
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 1, 2004
There have also been a couple of other recent threads in which books for learning to use Elements have been listed. One is just called "Books" and isn’t far down the list, and here’s a link to another one that has two good books mentioned:

Kenneth Liffmann "Any Editing Tips Would Help" 4/1/04 7:48am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections