MM
Posted By
Mary_Maz
Apr 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My photoshop elements program keeps giving me an error message stating "The monitor profile Samsung ICM profile appears to be defective. Please rerun your monitor callibration" When I reload the driver and software, the error message continues. Can somebody please tell me whats happening and how I may correct it?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent_bertram
Apr 1, 2004
Mary,
Elements is a color managed application , and uses a monitor profile to accurately render an image on the screen. Elements is probably the only color managed application you have.

If you are on the PC platform, you’ll use the Adobe Gamma utility to load your Samsung supplied profile, and then re-save it as your custom monitor profile. See the techdoc below :

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>

A good site for answering color management questions is <http://www.computer-darkroom.com> . Ian Lyons’ tutorial on the Adobe Gamma utility follows:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

🙂

Brent
MM
Mary_Maz
Apr 1, 2004
Brent,
thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I did your suggestions, read the tutorials, even got a new profile file sent to me by samsung. When I went to load it into the adobe gamma, it told me that the selected profile was not a legal rgb display. Any ideas what this means and how to troubleshoot? I really appreciate any insight on this!
Mary
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 2, 2004
Mary,
You have me stumped . What model Samsung display are you using ? We can try to find another ICC profile for it.

If worst comes to worst, Mary, you can create a new profile with Adobe Gamma utility, based on the sRGB profile. It won’t be very accurate, I’ll bet , but better than no profile at all. First, let’s try to get a real one from Samsung.
🙂

Brent
MM
Mary_Maz
Apr 2, 2004
Brent,
The monitor is a Samsung Sync Master 757 MB. Hmmmm this is really bothersome to me, as I am a digital photographer and these settings need to be accurate. I have contacted Samsung again regarding this defective profile, and will hopefully try to get a new one (AGAIN!)
Thanks, and I’m sure I’ll be back if thats not effective! Mary
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 2, 2004
Mary,
I incorrectly assumed that you have a LCD monitor, your monitor is a CRT and you should be able to profile, using Ian Lyons’ tutorial and completely disregard the manufacturers supplied profile. It took me a visit to Samsung support page to realize that you have a flat screen CRT. There are other products, which do a better job at calibrating and profiling displays, other than Adobe Gamma, but they cost some extra $$$ . Typically the $250 range is the starting point for hardware based calibration. If the Adobe Gamma route doesn’t work for you ( and it should, most people get close enough to be happy with it ) , we’ll point you at some reviews of profiling hardware/software packages. I use Monaco EZColor for both monitor calibration and print media profiling. That’s about a $500 solution, and is pretty much the lower end of the spectrum.

🙂

Brent
MM
Mary_Maz
Apr 4, 2004
Samsung told me there is nothing wrong with their profile. I don’t understand why I am getting that error message that it is not a legal rgb profile. If I choose to ignore the profile the colors seem pretty normal. If I choose to "use anyway" my whites are now light green. Why on earth is this happening??? I can’t seem to fix anything!!
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 4, 2004
You will need to use the Adobe Gamma utility to create your own profile, Mary . Follow the directions at Ian Lyons’ site, starting with the sRGB profile, and you’ll be able to get past this problem, hopefully .
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

🙂

Brent

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections