Posted By
rcody
Nov 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

How do I save a Photoshop image in jpeg format so that when printed using something other than Photoshop, the document is printed with the correct dimensions?

I scanned a 3.5" by 2" document into jpeg format. I opened it in Photoshop CS to clean it up a bit. I started by using the "rectangular marquee tool" to copy/paste the selected area into a new Photoshop document. Because the "preset" defaults to clipboard, the width and height of my image is 3.5" by 2". If I print this document, it prints just fine (the right dimensions).

The problem is when I save the document into a jpeg format. When I attempt to print the jpeg file using Windows built in Photo Printing Wizard, it fills the 8.5" x 11" paper.

If I were to open the jpeg with Photoshop, it will again print just fine at 3.5 x 2 inches.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 25, 2006
I think you need to be asking the "wizards" who wrote the Windows Photo Printing Wizard 🙁

What confuses me though, is why you would want to use a cobbled-together OS add-on to print your images when you’ve spent all that money on the world’s leading professional, colour-managed, image editing application, which affords the ability to correctly profile your printer?
R
Rizla
Nov 25, 2006
wrote in message
Hi,

How do I save a Photoshop image in jpeg format so that when printed using something other than Photoshop, the document is printed with the correct dimensions?

I scanned a 3.5" by 2" document into jpeg format. I opened it in Photoshop CS to clean it up a bit. I started by using the "rectangular marquee tool" to copy/paste the selected area into a new Photoshop document. Because the "preset" defaults to clipboard, the width and height of my image is 3.5" by 2". If I print this document, it prints just fine (the right dimensions).

The problem is when I save the document into a jpeg format. When I attempt to print the jpeg file using Windows built in Photo Printing Wizard, it fills the 8.5" x 11" paper.

If I were to open the jpeg with Photoshop, it will again print just fine at 3.5 x 2 inches.

Is there a setting in Windows Photo Printing Wizard that tells it to "Fit To Page" or something along those lines?
Also check that you are not printing at a different resolution to what PS prints it at (e.g. ppi – pixels Per Inch etc)
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 26, 2006
Sounds to me like he’s got a hi rez image that windows is considering 72 ppi. Just a theory though.
R
rcody
Nov 26, 2006
I guess what is going on is is Windows built in Photo Printing Wizard is working as designed. It doesn’t seem to have the capablility of recognizing the "actual size" and attempting to print just that. My ‘workaround’ is to use Windows Paint (the default jpeg editor). Paint does recognize the actual size and will print it to scale.

As far as to why I using Windows default programs goes: Because this is what everyone has and I don’t want to create images that only Adobe can work with. Besides, the image opens much faster with Windows default programs than it does with Adobe’s. So, I use Adobe to create the image and Windows to view and print it.

Thanks for your help!
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 26, 2006
You are labouring under a mammoth misapprehension.

Apart from its native PSD format Photoshop produces TIF, JPG, GIF, and a dozen other formats which can be read, displayed and printed by any application on any platform.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections