BO
Posted By
Bob_Onysko
Nov 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using an Epson 1280 – but I suspect this applies to any printer: Let’s say I have a photo (200DPI) that I have cropped to 4"x6". I want to print one copy. IfI use a sheet of 8 1/2"x11" paper, it will print in the missle of the sheet – thus wasting the rest of the sheet. So I create a blank canvas at 200DPI and 8 1/2"X11" – then drag my 4×6 over to it and place it so that I have paper left over to print something else – OR I might arrange to print two of this same 4×6 on the same sheet. I use the Ruler function and all looks well. However, the finished 4×6 or two 4×6’s are approximately 8% smaller after printing. Can someone tell me what’s happening? Also, perhaps there is a better way to make the most use of a sheet of paper and still get the dimensions of the prints that I want as a result. I suspect that I’m going about this wrong. I’m also assuming that a 4×6 at 200 DPI should fit on a 8 1/2×11 (200DPI) without shrinking or changing dimension in any way. Please help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 25, 2006
First,its ppi or pixels per inch. dpi is what your printer puts on paper. if you did indeed have a document thats 300 ppi,and a 4×6 @ 300ppi,then you should get the same size. when you crop to 4×6,is there any resolution entered in the crop box? in other words if your crop tool is set to 4×6 at 150,and you drag it into a 300 ppi document,it will get much smaller than 4×6.
J
Jim
Nov 25, 2006
wrote in message
I’m using an Epson 1280 – but I suspect this applies to any printer: Let’s say I have a photo (200DPI) that I have cropped to 4"x6". I want to print one copy. IfI use a sheet of 8 1/2"x11" paper, it will print in the missle of the sheet – thus wasting the rest of the sheet. So I create a blank canvas at 200DPI and 8 1/2"X11" – then drag my 4×6 over to it and place it so that I have paper left over to print something else – OR I might arrange to print two of this same 4×6 on the same sheet. I use the Ruler function and all looks well. However, the finished 4×6 or two 4×6’s are approximately 8% smaller after printing. Can someone tell me what’s happening? Also, perhaps there is a better way to make the most use of a sheet of paper and still get the dimensions of the prints that I want as a result. I suspect that I’m going about this wrong. I’m also assuming that a 4×6 at 200 DPI should fit on a 8 1/2×11 (200DPI) without shrinking or changing dimension in any way. Please help.

Why not just use 4×6 paper? The prints don’t take long and don’t use much ink.

Jim
BO
Bob_Onysko
Nov 25, 2006
I stand corrected. The resolution I referred to in the cropped photo was 200 PPI as was the 8 1/2×11 blank document I placed it on.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 25, 2006
Are you printing at 100%, or fitting the paper’s margins? For accurate size, you need to scale to 100% in print with preview. Fit margins will scale the image down to leave the 1/8" (or whatever the printer requires) margins. Also, for accurate sizes, don’t print borderless.
MA
Michel_APPERE
Nov 27, 2006
I also suggest you uncheck the "center image" in the "print with preview" dialog box. So you can drag the image to either the top or bottom of the paper.
AB
A_Bowie
Nov 28, 2006
Currently using Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 Windows and XEROX Phaser 8400 solid ink color printer.

I load a 6×4 gloss photo card to print a jpg from Photoshop Elements. After choosing the correct page setup, the printed card always has a 1/2 inch margin (border?) around it thus cutting off some of the picture.

Is there some way to adjust this border/margin to perhaps an 1/8 inch instead of 1/2?

Thanks for any help –

A Bowie
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 28, 2006
A Bowie, you need to go to the Photoshop Elements forum down the hall. This is the Photoshop forum.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections