Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 10.0.1
Power Mac G5
OSX 10.4.11
2GB DDR SDRAM Memory

When I open PSD or TIFF (unsure about other file formats) files previously worked on, saved, and then closed at a specific resolution (example 1" x 1" at 300ppi), they now open at 4.167" x 4.167" 72ppi (a size proportional to the saved 300ppi).

I have both manually deleted the Preference file, as well as rebuilt the Preference file by holding down the Shift-Control-Option-Command keys, and this still is occurring. Any suggestions to have the files open as they were saved, and not as (the apparently new default) 72ppi?

Perhaps unrelated, Photoshop is occasionally crashing as well, but I am having a difficult time determining exactly what is the cause of that. I did have additional memory installed recently, and was wondering if that may be "failing" and causing the crashes.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim Lukens-Gable

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2008
Any value for ppi is irrelevant to your work on images inside of Photoshop.

It’s best to learn to think of image width & height solely in terms of absolute pixel values, e.g.: 2400pxW × 3600pxH. Internally, Photoshop calculates the raster aspect of images ONLY in pixels. Conversion to other units of measurement are done on-the-fly, and are displayed only as a convenience to the user, if they have chosen to have them display.

The only reason you ever really need to consider the implications of a ppi value is when you are determining whether you have the proper resolution for the output you’re after when you go to print.

For the web, the ONLY width/height dimensions that matter are expressed in absolute pixel values.
B
Buko
Apr 4, 2008
I agree with what Phos says but, This should not be happening.

I’d be rather pissed off if all my files reverted to 72 ppi every time I opened them as I mainly work on print imagery.

Does this happen if you make a new user?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections