BL
Posted By
Bill_Lamp
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently set up a second, much more potent, computer dedicated to Photoshop. On starting Photoshop I get the error message that it is unable to load because DECO_32.DLL is missing and reinstalling the software may help. However, Photoshop continues to load and, so far, is working without any problem.

Thinking I could simply copy it from one machine to the other, I ran a search that included checking hidden files and folders on all drives. The file is NOT on my other computer and I do not get the error message when running Photoshop on that machine.

It is possible that the file belongs to a plug-in but there are no new ones on the new machine. Side note: Once I get this "cured" I will be removing all third party commercial plug-ins from the original computer and they will only be on the new one.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Thank you,
Bill, getting used to 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, 2 mice, and keeping track of which ones are connected to which computer

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bill_Lamp
Nov 22, 2006
A quick add in. I had checked Google for information on the file and it is supposed to be needed for ACR to work. ACR 2.4 works fine. (Photoshop CS-1)

Bill
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 22, 2006
Googling the file name indicates that it’s a fractal decompression library used for the .FIF file format (among other things). Do you perhaps have any plugins for fractal file types?
BL
Bill_Lamp
Nov 22, 2006
No I don’t.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Nov 22, 2006
Bill,

Just in case there might be any confusion, "plugins for fractal file types" might not be to obvious if you happen to look anything with the word "Fractal" in the Filters menu. Although currently an onOne product, Genuine Fractals was previously owned by Altamira I think, and I vaguely recall they had a product called Print Pro. So, the filter might show up as something like Altamira > Print Pro. In fact, that is just a different packaging of Genuine Fractals geared to those wanting to print large images.

If you still don’t find anything, you might just locate a downloadable copy of DECO_32.DLL and see if placing it into c:\windows\system32 takes care of the problem for you.

regards,

Daryl
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 22, 2006
Bill,

I too have PSCS (1) on a dedicated computer (Win2000 SP4). I scanned all drives in it and it didn’t find this dll.

Yet my ACR 2.4 works well every day, while a search on the internet suggest that when this file is not found at PS launch, ACR might not work.

Rob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Nov 22, 2006
I just downloaded a Genuine Fractals Print Pro demo and installed it, the result being that deco_32.dll was in fact added to the C:\Windows\System32 directory. The related plugin files, which if PS tried to load would likely result in the DLL error if it wasn’t found, are GFPrintPro_en.8li and GFPPMenu.onli.dll in the Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only subdirectory of your PSCS root directory.

Bill, if you want deco_32.dll, I uploaded a zip of it to <http://ambress.com/dll.zip> which you can unzip and place into the System32 directory to see if that solves things for you. Or, you can do as I did and download the Print Pro demo from OnOneSoftware, install it, and then uninstall it to see if that cleans everything up properly.

Regards,

Daryl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections