TD
Posted By
trevor_dickinson
Feb 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably very simple but I’m baffled. In the past I could draw a path with the pen tool, draw another path inside it, then convert them into a selection with the inside selection cutting a hole in the outside selection.

For some reason this doesn’t work anymore and I can’t work out what settings I should have to get this back.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 12, 2007
Select both paths with the path component selection tool (the solid path selection tool). In the options bar, note four buttons on the left… the shape area buttons. Click the fourth button over (Exclude overlapping shape area). Now convert the paths to a selection.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 12, 2007
First, make sure that both paths are in the same paths Palette "Tile" and that BOTH are selected.

Then, making sure that "Exclude Overlapping Path Areas" is selected in the Options bar, Cmd click on the paths palette tile.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 12, 2007
Well Doug types more quickly than me — but the message is the same!

🙂
TD
trevor_dickinson
Feb 12, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I have been trying this, but for some reason the selection is inverted. Apart from that it works! Any ideas how to stop it being inverted?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 12, 2007
I don’t know how you got your selection inverted but try Cmd Shift i
to get it back
TD
trevor_dickinson
Feb 12, 2007
Yes I’m getting it back and it’s better than it was, but I didn’t have to do this in tha past, it just worked! There must be something I’m doing wrong…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 12, 2007
I guess that it must be — because it works in the regular way here!

😉
TD
trevor_dickinson
Feb 13, 2007
Ha, ha! Maybe should I start a new post saying that my selections are inverted.
TM
TW_Miller
Feb 13, 2007
Trevor-
Click the second button over(subtract from path area) before you begin the inside path. Now when you activate your path it should cut the hole, and not invert.

Regards,
Todd

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections