PM
Posted By
Paul_Melzer
Feb 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve checked around with no luck; not sure how to do this, but I want to make a gradient map for a photo image simply based on opacity (not shade/color). Is this possible (of course it is, right?).

Thanks in advance,

Paul, who someday hopes to contribute answers as well as questions.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Ray_Craighead
Feb 12, 2007
If I understand your question, I would select the layer containing the transparency you want by Cmd-clicking the layer thumbnail. The selection is now simply based on the transparency, not the pixel colors. This selection can be saved as an alpha channel or used as a layer mask on another layer.
PM
Paul_Melzer
Feb 12, 2007
My objective is to make a gradient map of the photograph in opacity, left to right, 100% to 50%. Not sure I understand your reply, Ray. When I read about gradient map tool, it doesn’t refer to anything but working with colors.
B
Bernie
Feb 12, 2007
When I read about gradient map tool, it doesn’t refer to anything but working with colors.

That’s what a gradient map is about…

Unless you mean a gradient mask? (Have the photo become gradually transparent from letf to right) You do that with a layer mask and the gradient tool.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 12, 2007
I think he means he wants to map the opacity of the image… so that, let’s say, the black end of the gradient would represent full opacity, the white end would represent full transparency.
PM
Paul_Melzer
Feb 12, 2007
Correct, Doug. Thank you CN. Got it working now.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 12, 2007
Really. How do you do it? How to you map grayscale tones to opacity?
B
Bernie
Feb 13, 2007
I think he means he wants to map the opacity of the image…

Ok, but where does the left to right come in?

Mapping grayscale tones to opacity:

Place the image on a layer, make a layer mask, copy the grayscale image, paste it in the mask.

Or, use a fill layer, and paste the image in the mask.

The results are different and one may be preferable over the other depending on what you’re doing exactly.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections