PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a scanner without multiscanning, so I have to do it manually. The problem is how do I eliminate extreme values when averaging?

Let’s say 4 scans result in following values for a point: 123, 125, 127 and 250. Obviously, 250 is a fluke and this spike should be eliminated before averaging out the first three values.

Question: How do I do this in Photoshop 6? Layering the 4 images with opacity of 50%, 33% & 25% would include the extreme value.

Thanks!

Don.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BV
Bart van der Wolf
Feb 24, 2004
"Don" wrote in message
I have a scanner without multiscanning, so I have to do it manually. The problem is how do I eliminate extreme values when averaging?
Let’s say 4 scans result in following values for a point: 123, 125, 127 and 250. Obviously, 250 is a fluke and this spike should be eliminated before averaging out the first three values.

Statistically, 250 could be correct and the other three could be wrong…;-) I’d just use them as they are.

Question: How do I do this in Photoshop 6? Layering the 4 images with opacity of 50%, 33% & 25% would include the extreme value.

Perhaps you can give a little less weight to the one you mistrust. Layering requires perfect registration of the individual images, so spend some time on getting that right. You could also consider using a program like Registax (http://aberrator.astronomy.net/registax/) to do the work for you.

Bart
J
john
Feb 24, 2004
In article <403b5ee9$0$569$>, "Bart van der Wolf" wrote:

[…]
Layering requires perfect registration of the individual images, so spend some time on getting that right. You could also consider using a program like Registax (http://aberrator.astronomy.net/registax/) to do the work for you.

I should think he wouldn’t be moving the negatives between scans, so he could use Photoshop’s simple shift-drag to align the images from each image as a new layer into one image perfectly.

Regarding merging, besides the layer modes he can use apply-image which gives proper registration and the subtract, add, mask and more options.
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Feb 24, 2004
"jjs" wrote in message
SNIP
I should think he wouldn’t be moving the negatives between scans, so he could use Photoshop’s simple shift-drag to align the images from each image as a new layer into one image perfectly.

Most scanners (linear array CCD) have a little play in their (re)positioning mechanism, so perfect registration is not likely. Also the film may heat-up and change shape. Half pixel offsets will blur the composite.

Bart
N
nomail
Feb 24, 2004
Bart van der Wolf wrote:

Statistically, 250 could be correct and the other three could be wrong…;-) I’d just use them as they are.

Perhaps you can give a little less weight to the one you mistrust.

The problem is that you will not have one particular scan you mistrust. If that was the case, you simply could not include that scan at all. However, in scan A, pixel A may be the one that is too bright, but in scan B it may be pixel B. That’s the whole idea behind multiple scanning. I think there is no way to do what you want. You’ll just have to live with the idea that the extreme values will be included, but at least they will be averaged out.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
PE
phoney.email
Feb 24, 2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:25:47 +0100, "Bart van der Wolf" wrote:

Actually, statistically, 250 is way out, but it may be right *realistically*! ;o)

That’s the problem, I can’t examine every pixel manually.

Statisticians often remove high values and low values before averaging out exactly to avoid accidental samples. They also use other rude words such as "standard deviation" and so on… 😉

Of course, given enough samples even a simple averaging would "tame" those extreme values, but a more intelligent approach may eliminate the need for superfluous scanning which both, saves time and is easier on the scanner.

Layering requires perfect registration of the individual images, so spend some time on getting that right. You could also consider using a program like Registax (http://aberrator.astronomy.net/registax/) to do the work for you.

I’ll have a look, although I really prefer to do it myself, if for no other reason than as a learning exercise.

Don.
PE
phoney.email
Feb 24, 2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:29:56 -0600, (jjs)
wrote:

As you say, alignment is not a problem. If the film is not removed between scans, quite often, there is no need to align further at all.

Regarding merging, besides the layer modes he can use apply-image which gives proper registration and the subtract, add, mask and more options.

Yes, I have played with Apply Image, and I’m still trying to figure out Photoshop’s terminology and translate that into terms I’m familiar with (logical AND, OR, etc).

In this particular case, however, I don’t see a way to have Apply Image ignore extreme values.

Don.
PE
phoney.email
Feb 24, 2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:06:57 +0100, "Bart van der Wolf" wrote:

Most scanners (linear array CCD) have a little play in their (re)positioning mechanism, so perfect registration is not likely. Also the film may heat-up and change shape. Half pixel offsets will blur the composite.

I find that my flatbed suffers from that much, much more than the film scanner. I guess that’s why the price difference is 10 times… 😉

Don.
ME
Mike Engles
Feb 24, 2004
Don wrote:

Thanks!

Don.

Hello

If you have a Nikon scanner, you will find that the scan consistency is excellent. I used to do multiple scans and then layer them in Photoshop. I would use opacities as well as the Photoshop layer options to ‘tune in the areas that I wanted. I have Photoshop actions that will do this for 16 layers. I used it to get cleaner shadow detail.

The thing is that if you have a Nikon Ls40, there is very little to be gained in multiscanning.

I now have a Ls50, having sold my Ls40. It is terrific. It still has a problem with really dark Kodachromes, but in every other respect, it gets pretty much all the can be got from a image.

Mike Engles
PE
phoney.email
Feb 25, 2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:53:26 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

The problem is that you will not have one particular scan you mistrust. If that was the case, you simply could not include that scan at all. However, in scan A, pixel A may be the one that is too bright, but in scan B it may be pixel B. That’s the whole idea behind multiple scanning. I think there is no way to do what you want. You’ll just have to live with the idea that the extreme values will be included, but at least they will be averaged out.

I’m not a statistician, but it’s quite common (if not required) in statistics to exclude extreme values before averaging out.

I can write my own averaging routine to work on raw files but before I reinvent the wheel I was just wondering if there was a way to do that in Photoshop (version 6 here).

Don.
PE
phoney.email
Feb 25, 2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:10:45 +0000 (UTC), Mike Engles
wrote:

If you have a Nikon scanner, you will find that the scan consistency is excellent. I used to do multiple scans and then layer them in Photoshop. I would use opacities as well as the Photoshop layer options to ‘tune in the areas that I wanted. I have Photoshop actions that will do this for 16 layers. I used it to get cleaner shadow detail.

Yes I do have a Nikon scanner, but it’s an LS-30… 🙁

The thing is that if you have a Nikon Ls40, there is very little to be gained in multiscanning.

I now have a Ls50, having sold my Ls40. It is terrific. It still has a problem with really dark Kodachromes, but in every other respect, it gets pretty much all the can be got from a image.

You put your finger on it! It’s exactly those dark Kodakchromes which are responsible for lumps of hair on the floor and scratch marks on the walls… ;o)

I’ve been wrestling with this for months and not giving up yet. No choice really, since I can’t afford a new scanner at this time.

Don.
J
john
Feb 25, 2004
In article ,
(Don) wrote:

I’m not a statistician, but it’s quite common (if not required) in statistics to exclude extreme values before averaging out.

Uh oh. I see Warren smiling, but I am not sure it’s in amusement.
J
JJS
Feb 25, 2004
"Don" wrote in message

You put your finger on it! It’s exactly those dark Kodakchromes which are responsible for lumps of hair on the floor and scratch marks on the walls… ;o)

D-M-A-X is the clue here. Perhaps one day we won’t have to use dumbed-dwon film to suit scanners.
O
OLM
Feb 25, 2004
In article ,
says…
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:25:47 +0100, "Bart van der Wolf" wrote:

Actually, statistically, 250 is way out, but it may be right *realistically*! ;o)

That’s the problem, I can’t examine every pixel manually.
Statisticians often remove high values and low values before averaging out exactly to avoid accidental samples. They also use other rude words such as "standard deviation" and so on… 😉
Of course, given enough samples even a simple averaging would "tame" those extreme values, but a more intelligent approach may eliminate the need for superfluous scanning which both, saves time and is easier on the scanner.

I’ll have a look, although I really prefer to do it myself, if for no other reason than as a learning exercise.

If you have a data set with a large number of "outliers", you could use the median value instead of the mean ("average") value. That is, sorting the data in the set from low-to-high, and picking the middle one.

E.g. 126, 127, 5, 189, 128, 176, 46
Sort: 5, 46, 126, 127, 128, 176, 189
Median: 127
Mean: 113.9

Another refined method would be to use a trimmed mean. In this case you also sort the dataset, discard a number/percentage of the top and bottom values, and calculate the mean of the intermediate values.

E.g. the interquartile mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interquartile_mean

Problem with all these methods based on a median is that you need to sort the values in the dataset. This is a pretty slow operation. Especially to do this pixel for pixel, combining data from multiple image files.

And the result would probably only be a marginal improvement. But if you have spare time to write some code…
PE
phoney.email
Feb 26, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:19:29 +0100, OLM wrote:

If you have a data set with a large number of "outliers", you could use the median value instead of the mean ("average") value. That is, sorting the data in the set from low-to-high, and picking the middle one.
E.g. 126, 127, 5, 189, 128, 176, 46
Sort: 5, 46, 126, 127, 128, 176, 189
Median: 127
Mean: 113.9

Another refined method would be to use a trimmed mean. In this case you also sort the dataset, discard a number/percentage of the top and bottom values, and calculate the mean of the intermediate values.
E.g. the interquartile mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interquartile_mean

Thanks very much for that! I’ll look into it.

Problem with all these methods based on a median is that you need to sort the values in the dataset. This is a pretty slow operation. Especially to do this pixel for pixel, combining data from multiple image files.
And the result would probably only be a marginal improvement. But if you have spare time to write some code…

I will definitely do this for fun, but you’re right about marginal improvement and the time aspect. After all I was trying to do this in Photoshop exactly to save time by having to do fewer scans.

Thanks again.

Don.
PE
phoney.email
Feb 26, 2004
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:50:55 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message

D-M-A-X is the clue here. Perhaps one day we won’t have to use dumbed-down film to suit scanners.

Not to mention, 20+ years ago when my Kodachromes were taken – who knew?

Still, I blame Nikon for not retrofitting this on older scanners and refusing to help in any way. But that’s another story…

Don.
J
john
Feb 26, 2004
In article ,
(Don) wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:50:55 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

D-M-A-X is the clue here. Perhaps one day we won’t have to use dumbed-down film to suit scanners.

Not to mention, 20+ years ago when my Kodachromes were taken – who knew?

See what you get for not being clairvoiant? Shame. And what similar "mistakes" are we making today? Well, we are not making images that suitable to 3D rendering. Shame again. Drag out that old stereo camera and get to work! 🙂

Still, I blame Nikon for not retrofitting this on older scanners and refusing to help in any way. But that’s another story…

If it concerns DMAX, then Nikon is just one of the vendors with the issue. It’s a real problem for today’s scanning technology.
S
saswss
Feb 26, 2004
In article ,
OLM writes:

Actually, you can compute the median or any other order statistic in linear time without sorting. Computing a median is a little slower than computing a mean, but the difference is hardly enough to be a major obstacle.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
O
OLM
Feb 26, 2004
In article ,
says…

I will definitely do this for fun, but you’re right about marginal improvement and the time aspect. After all I was trying to do this in Photoshop exactly to save time by having to do fewer scans.

Good luck with the coding. If it works, and it’s a useful tool for averaging image files, will you share it with us? 🙂
J
john
Feb 27, 2004
In article <c1lmll$n6f$ (Warren
Sarle) wrote:

Actually, you can compute the median or any other order statistic in linear time without sorting.

You have a privileged view of statistics, Warren. 🙂 What you wrote is quite true. Perhaps we should be putting such routines into a freeware/shareware collection. (Can you do that as an employee of SAS? I truly do not know.)
PE
phoney.email
Feb 27, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:56:47 +0100, OLM wrote:

Good luck with the coding. If it works, and it’s a useful tool for averaging image files, will you share it with us? 🙂

Oh, it’s really elementary. I just save the image as RAW and then don’t have to worry about various convoluted image formats. After that, it’s simply the case of reading the file in sequentially.

That works, so it’s a "yes" to your first "if", but as to whether such averaging would be useful – in light of marginal effect in spite of being very labor intensive (RAW file conversions) – now, that’s another story… ;o)

Don.
PE
phoney.email
Feb 27, 2004
On 26 Feb 2004 20:58:29 GMT, (Warren Sarle) wrote:

In article ,
OLM writes:

Actually, you can compute the median or any other order statistic in linear time without sorting. Computing a median is a little slower than computing a mean, but the difference is hardly enough to be a major obstacle.

So, what’s the consensus regarding whether Photoshop (version 6 here) can do this out of the box?

As I wrote, simple layering (with opacities at 50%, 33%, 25%, etc) just calculates the mean without eliminating high and low values.

Is there a way to do this "properly" in PS 6 using "trimmed mean"? (Thanks for the clear explanation OLM!)

Don.
S
saswss
Feb 27, 2004
In article ,
(jjs) writes:
In article <c1lmll$n6f$ (Warren
Sarle) wrote:

Actually, you can compute the median or any other order statistic in linear time without sorting.

You have a privileged view of statistics, Warren. 🙂 What you wrote is quite true. Perhaps we should be putting such routines into a freeware/shareware collection. (Can you do that as an employee of SAS? I truly do not know.)

I can’t reveal our source code without making everybody who reads this group sign a long, complicated legal form. 🙂

But you can find lots of articles on this topic by looking for citations of:
C. A. R. Hoare, Algorithm 65: find, Communications of the ACM,
v.4 n.7, p. 321-322, July 1961

It would be real nice if Photoshop had a way to average several layers, using any of several kinds of averages including medians and trimmed means. The trick to making this reasonably fast would lie more in memory access and caching than in the numerical computations.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
S
saswss
Feb 27, 2004
In article ,
(Don) writes:
On 26 Feb 2004 20:58:29 GMT, (Warren Sarle) wrote:

So, what’s the consensus regarding whether Photoshop (version 6 here) can do this out of the box?

As I wrote, simple layering (with opacities at 50%, 33%, 25%, etc) just calculates the mean without eliminating high and low values.
Is there a way to do this "properly" in PS 6 using "trimmed mean"? (Thanks for the clear explanation OLM!)

I’m pretty sure that Photoshop 7 cannot do medians. I don’t even see any way to do medians in the Reindeergraphics plug-ins.

You can compute min and max using the Darken and Lighten blending modes, so you might be able to write an action or script that does a trimmed mean by computing the arithmetic mean (as you indicated with the 50%, 33%, etc., trick) and then subtracting a multiple of the min and the max, and then renormalizing.

PE
phoney.email
Feb 28, 2004
On 27 Feb 2004 23:18:43 GMT, (Warren Sarle) wrote:

I’m pretty sure that Photoshop 7 cannot do medians. I don’t even see any way to do medians in the Reindeergraphics plug-ins.

You can compute min and max using the Darken and Lighten blending modes, so you might be able to write an action or script that does a trimmed mean by computing the arithmetic mean (as you indicated with the 50%, 33%, etc., trick) and then subtracting a multiple of the min and the max, and then renormalizing.

Thanks Warren, I’ll look into it.

Don.
ME
Mike Engles
Feb 28, 2004
Don wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:10:45 +0000 (UTC), Mike Engles
wrote:

Yes I do have a Nikon scanner, but it’s an LS-30… 🙁

I’ve been wrestling with this for months and not giving up yet. No choice really, since I can’t afford a new scanner at this time.
Don.

Hello

At this link I have a 8MB 8 layer PSD.

Alt click on the base layer to turn off all the other layers. This image is from a Kodachrome and scanned on a LS 30.
I also use the layer options to tune in just the dark areas. Ctrl click to turn of base layer. Dbl-click a layer to see its properties.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/samurai.zip

I have other multiscans with 16 layers.

Mike Engles

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections