Creating distressed "cutting edge" graphics. What is the correct term?

PS
Posted By
psypent81_syndicator
Feb 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey everyone,

Here’s a funny request..I was wondering if anyone can help me branch into the whole "cutting edge" graphics area of design. Ok, let me try to explain..Its those graphics that you find in video game magazines, Vh1 commercials, Comedy Central (Where there are blobs of black ink that grow out of cityscapes, etc)
I am also trying to find an example to show you guys, but all the commercials I find are on YouTube, and cannot see any good ones..do you guys know what I’m talking about?
They are usually urban graphics..Is there a particular name for this style? If so, can someone please tell me what it is, since I am trying to find some tutorials.
I am currently looking on google for some tutorials, but I get no hits..I am typing in distressed graphics, distressed graphics tutorials. Is there a term I am not typing in?

I will try to find some graphics, but hopefully someone can help me out, or at least just let me know what to type into google..lol..

Thanks for hearing me out

-C

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JF
john_findley
Feb 9, 2007
I suggest a trip to the local library or bookstore. There are dozens (hundreds) of books on Graphic Design available. In the library, look for The Workbook, The Black Book, and the many other annual collections of design work out there.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 9, 2007
honestly, by the time you learn and perfect it the fad will be outdated. Not to say that you couldnt learn fairly quickly, but that look is so overused now.

Just about every Emo band on the planet uses it, and it’s on every other cable channel.

Once commercials start using it – it’s all over, and that’s starting to happen.

I would suggest just using the world around you, life’s experiences ect to influence your design.
I
iSteveV
Feb 10, 2007
This magazine likes to stay onto of current trends.

<http://www.computerarts.co.uk/>
BJ
Bob_Janusz
Feb 11, 2007
I think "Grunge" is the term you are looking for. <http://flashtracking.com/ingramhill/default.asp?aid=58>
B
Bernie
Feb 11, 2007
I need to point this out: if you are imitating an existing look, it isn’t cutting edge anymore…
B
Buko
Feb 11, 2007
Nobody reads post #2
B
Bernie
Feb 11, 2007
I did, I just thought I’d be more blunt (not being cutting edge and all <g> )
B
Buko
Feb 11, 2007

B)
PS
psypent81_syndicator
Feb 12, 2007
Haha, thanks for the response guys..

Yeah, I totally understand you guys about the whole cutting edge thing. Actually, the person who said "Grunge" was the word I was looking for. And I agree with you guys..I just wanted to be able to do those kinds of graphics, because whether or not that type of look is dying, there are always some elements that linger behind, and having the knowledge of how to create this type of look can be very beneficial. Or am I mistaken? Its one of those things where I think it isnt necessarily beneficial, but it wont hurt my either, do you know what I mean? I am not trying to say this look is here to stay or anything, just to have something under the belt for little freelance projects here and there. Am I making sense? Please tell me if Im not.

Thanks a lot for everything ladies and gents, I appreciate it.

_C

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections