How can I simulate the Lab mode with layers and blendingmodes?

T
Posted By
T._Schmidt
Feb 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to simulate the L a b Mode by copying each of the channels, as a layer, to a new RGB (or Lab or other color) image.
For RGB images you would copy each channel to a layer and set the layer blendingmode to "Screen".
For CMYK images you would copy each channel to a layer and set the layer blendingmode to "Multiply".
But what about Lab? Never looks correct. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RM
Rick McCleary
Feb 8, 2007
Not sure what you’re trying to achieve here. Are you putting together files to demonstrate how Lab works?
B
Bernie
Feb 8, 2007
To have each channel on it’s own layer. WIth your document in Lab mode do the following:

Duplicate the image on three layers.

Set your background colour to RGB = 127,127,127

Delete the a and b channels from the bottom most layer (this becomes your "L" layer

The two topmost layers will become the "a" and "b" layers, delete the b and a channels, then set the background colour to white and delete the L channel.

Set the two topmost layers to Multiply

Since you’re in Lab mode, I’m not sure what this accomplishes…
T
T._Schmidt
Feb 8, 2007
Yes, I’m trying to demonstrate how Lab works. Though I’m not sure if it’s possible.

Nomad, with "Set your background colour to Neutral Gray", do you mean the background color swatch in the Tools pallete or do you mean fill the background layer? What does it do?
The bottom layer will be the L layer?
I’m doing this all in Lab mode?
Again, I’m trying to make the separate layers resemble the actual colors. In a CMYK image this would mean you have a Cyan layer, a Magenta layer and so on.
In Lab this means you have a "Dark=Green to Bright=Red" layer and a "Dark=Blue to Bright=Yellow" layer.
I’m trying to achive this by using Gradient Map adjustment layers. So the layers by themselves look correct. I just need the blending modes.

Also I’d like to know for sure if it’s Green to Red or Green to Magenta as I’ve read both. Right now I’d use:
R=255 for red;
M=100% for magenta;
G=255 for green;
B=255 for blue;
Y=100% for yellow.

Maybe there is a mistake. Of course it’s either red OR magenta, not both.

Thanks!
PF
Peter_Figen
Feb 8, 2007
It’s Green to Magenta, as Dan Margulis so aptly demonstrates in his wonderful book on Lab color – The Canyon Conundrum. You may gain a lot of insight simply by reading his book and looking at the illustrations there. You may be trying to reinvent the wheel here.
JC
Jonathan_Clymer
Feb 8, 2007
The red/green or magenta/green designation is simply a visual description and has nothing to do with how red or magenta are defined in RGB or CMYK. You can decide for yourself if "that color" looks red or magenta. As to how those colors match each other going between Lab and RGB/CMYK, try this: In a Lab document, fill with grey. In curves, select the a channel, and move the left end point up as you observe the changes in the info palettes. You will see that you are moving towards red and towards magenta, but neither is pure, the magenta being contaminated by yellow and the red being contaminated by blue. However, you are moving more in a magenta direction than in a red direction.

Jonathan Clymer
RM
Rick McCleary
Feb 8, 2007
Yes, it’s green to magenta. They are complimetary colors – that is, they are exactly 180 degrees opposed from one another on the color wheel. The complimentary pairs are:
green – magenta
red – cyan
blue – yellow

Regarding the need to demonstrate how lab works, why not just use a Lab file? If you do your demo from within Photoshop, you can show in real time what happens with a lab file. I know what you’re doing with the CMYK/multiply file (as well as the RGB/screen file.) You can’t do a similar thing with Lab. Blending modes will not simulate how Lab works; the math is radically different.

I second Peter’s recommendation to read Dan Margulis’ book on Lab (The Canyon Conundrum.) It’s excellent and eye-opening. You don’t actually have to read the entire book to get the jist of what he has to say.
T
T._Schmidt
Feb 8, 2007
Thanks to all of you this already was eye opening, I’ll read it.
B
Bernie
Feb 8, 2007
background color swatch in the Tools pallete or do you mean fill the background layer? What does it do?

I mean the backgrond colour swatch

Gotta run
B
Bernie
Feb 8, 2007
Sorry about that, the shan hit the fit at work.

What I mean was the background colour swatch, that way, when you hit delete on the a and b channels, you end up with the colour that is neutral in those channels

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections