Posted By
samchilds
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

In Photoshop CS2 every picture I try to open – jpgs, tifs, whatever – just brings up a message saying "Could not complete your request because of a program error".

When I go to File – New, it lets me define the dimensions, dpi etc before saying it can’t create the new document because of a program error.

On Friday CS2 didn’t do this. On Monday it did. I’ve tried running Applejack, uninstalling the whole CS2 suite, removing the plugins, deleting the Photoshop preference file … I’m running out of ideas.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have very recently upgraded to OSX 10.4, and was wondering if that might have caused the problem …

Thanks,

Sam

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 1, 2007
does this happen in a new user?
JL
Josiah_Lybbert
Feb 2, 2007
I’ve had the same problem since a firmware update on my mac mini went wrong and I had to reinstall Tiger. I’ve also tried reinstalling photoshop and deleting the preference files. Anyone have any ideas on what else to do?
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2007
No one reads post #1.

Again: If you create a new account and log in as a different user, does the problem persist or go away?

This is an essential troubleshooting step.
S
samchilds
Feb 2, 2007
Nice one, creating a new user seems to have sorted it out. I’d still like to know what it is in my other account that was causing the problem, if there are any suggestions.

Thanks
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2007
Well, you have software corruption in your regular account.

An "Archive and Install" of the OS is in order. This will preserve your settings while giving you a fresh OS. The whole procedure should be done in less than one hour.
S
samchilds
Feb 2, 2007
I think I’ve fixed it …
Create a new user, go to library/preferences/adobe/workflow and copy the settings and projects xml files, then paste them over the same files in the account that isn’t working – job done, it would appear!
CW
Clint_Welsh
Jul 14, 2008
I just started having this problem today. I have done nothing new to my system. I can’t remember if Adobe just recently had an update or not.

I can’t do ANYTHING in Photoshop because it continuously brings back the window "Could not complete your request because of a program error" over and over and over. I must force quit the application to get out.
B
Buko
Jul 14, 2008
Have you run Diskwarrior or disk Utility off the OS install CD?
P
pmarquis
Jul 14, 2008
Try opening up photoshop and keeping track of what you are trying to do RIGHT before it gives you the window. I found that whenever I tried to use the type tool, it would give me that problem; I could do anything else, but whenever that type tool came active and I tried to type into it, I’d get that error.

Then I used a font repair application and now it works perfectly.
T
TR
Jul 14, 2008
This problem started with me today and I resolved it after reading this post. I didn’t have to create a new user or anything like that. The problem is bad fonts. I used my font book app to validate all my fonts and it indicated a bunch of them that were corrupt. I’ve deleted those fonts and now the issue is resolved. Hope this helps.

Terry
L
Lundberg02
Jul 16, 2008
I have never seen an explanation anywhere that describes how and why fonts become corrupt, although this seems to be a continuing problem that has gone on for many years. I can remember people having this problem in OS 7.5.
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2008
As TP (Thomas Phinney, Adobe boss of bosses in all things having to do with fonts and type) has repeatedly pointed out in the Typography forum, fonts are executable applications themselves. Since they don’t generate a separate "preferences" file, they are prone to going belly up instead when something goes wrong.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, but what is that "something" and why doesn’t the executable produce an error message?
It seems like that would be a part of any reasonable code.
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2008
Maybe it’s the same "something" that corrupts Photoshop preferences or any other file. 😀

Lundberg, if they knew, they would have fixed it. 😉
F
fotografica
Jul 17, 2008
I have been getting the same problems.
To the point that I can’t event try to open any files. I can open a file if I drag it over the icon on the dock. But I can’t save it. PS immediately crashes.
So far I have tried trashing preferences, reinstalling PS without any improvemnet. Another forum talks about Wacom Driver’s being the problem.
From reading the posts o this topic, fonts seem to be the problem. Which is the best tool to clean up my fonts and identify corrupted fonts.
I have been able to use CS2, but I want CS3 back!
B
Buko
Jul 17, 2008
FontAgent Pro
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 17, 2008
Which is the best tool to clean up my fonts and identify corrupted fonts.

Try FontAgent Pro. You can get a 30-day free trial.

But also make sure that you have disabled the TWAIN plug-in: <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc3e346>

And while you are there, do read the other FAQs to help you get better performance from CS3.
F
fotografica
Jul 17, 2008
I will try Font Agent Pro.
I forgot to mention the apparent issue that exists using PS with images that are on a server? Is this something Adobe is working on?
This is a huge issue, as far as I can see.
But in the meantime I will try to clean up the font issue. Which by the way I have huge conflicts with Helvetica Neue no using 10.5. Some of them dissapeared and now I get warnings when I want to activate the fonts I had been using before.
AP
Ana_Pedrero
Jul 17, 2008
Do I need to disable Font Book before I install Font Agent Pro Sorry but I am new with his font management
B
Buko
Jul 17, 2008
Do I need to disable Font Book before I install Font Agent Pro

Yes.

Extensis has a PDF explaining how to disable Helvetica in Leopard.
AP
Ana_Pedrero
Jul 17, 2008
How do I disable Font Book?
AP
Ana_Pedrero
Jul 17, 2008
Re Helvetica… I like Helvetica Neue, in fact I use it in many of my documents. As soon as I installed Leopard, it removed the HNeue and will not allow me to reinstalled them, I was able to install what it looks like the same fonts, but instead of displaying the whole name of the font " 76 Helvetica Neue Bold Italic" (it’s just an example) it displays H76.
B
Buko
Jul 17, 2008
turn off all fonts it activated don’t use it.

Go to the extensis web site and get the PDF I mentioned.
NT
Nini Tj
Jul 17, 2008
You do not disable FontBook. You just stop managing activating/deactivating fonts with it whenever you use another Font managing application. But you don’t disable FontBook itself.
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2008
he apparent issue that exists using PS with images that are on a server? Is this something Adobe is working on?

No, Adobe does NOT support working over a network. Their advice is to copy the CLOSED file to your local drive, then open it and edit it, save it again to your local drive, and then copy the CLOSED file again to your server.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 18, 2008
You do not disable FontBook. You just stop managing activating/deactivating fonts with it whenever you use another Font managing application. But you don’t disable FontBook itself.

Whether you cal it "Disabling Font Book" or not, if you don’t get rid of its influence, you can expect trouble.

To disable Font Book, follow these steps

1. In Font Book, enable all collections and fonts
2. Quit Font Book
3. Delete <user>/Library/FontCollections
4. Delete <user>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FontBook.plist
5. Restart

Then never activate FontBook again …
F
fotografica
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the advice regarding Font Book.

I tried to delete Library/Collections and I got a warning saying the system needed this collection of fonts. So I stopped! Now what.

I should tell you what’s happened so far regarding PS crashing.

InDesign and Illustrator were also crashing. So I removed all CS3 components, did a whole new install and all applications are working fine now. I was able to save all my actions. Now I haven’t run any updates and honestly not sure I want to.
NT
Nini Tj
Jul 18, 2008
I wouldn’t do what Ann suggests.
FontBook is used by other Apple software and comes with the system. There is absolutely no harm in having it on the disk as long as you do not selectively activate and/or deactivate fonts with it when you use another font manger.
AP
Ana_Pedrero
Jul 19, 2008
So if I just turn uncheck the validate fonts, automatic font activation and alert me if system font change, I shoud be able to install Font Agent Pro?
R
Ram
Jul 19, 2008
Nini,

Just because something "comes with the system" does not means it’s a good thing.

In my opinion Spotblight is utter, useless crap. I have disabled it completely and permanently. I use the free EasyFind, which finds all kinds of stuff Spotblight cannot. No indexing necessary.

Also disabled completely and permanently are the Dashboard and FontBook.

There are no adverse side effects whatsoever from any of the above.

I I were running Leopard, which I never will, I would undoubtedly disable Spaces and Quick Look.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2008
Ana:

Re: 36:

Do this before trying to use FAP because you should NOT have two active font management applications active at the same time and Font Book will conflict with FAP.

To disable Font Book, follow these steps

1. In Font Book, enable all collections and fonts
2. Quit Font Book
3. Delete <user>/Library/FontCollections
4. Delete <user>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FontBook.plist
5. Restart

Then never activate FontBook again …

—–

Nini does not use FAP so this advice does not apply to her.
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2008
I have used Font Book with FAP.

I had one font that FAP did not like or want to activate so I used Font Book just for that one font. everything worked. then I deactivated it with Font Book this did not seem to cause problems but it was only for about half an hour
KB
Kevin_Boardley
Jul 27, 2008
For what it’s worth, and I’m not sure that it gets any closer to a proper resolution, I tried soemthing different.

I was getting the "Could not complete your request because of a program error" after having opened a gif file then trying to create a new blank image file.

I tried a few of the fixes suggested here and none worked.

I then took a screenshot and selected new file in CS2 and pasted in my screenshot. This seemed to clear something and I am now able to create a new blank file again!! No stupid error message.
SG
Sharon_Goodman
Jul 28, 2008
This has been happening to me also & that’s why I’m here…to see if anyone else has a solution.

It usually happens to me what I create a new file & paste a graphic from my clipboard. When I save it, the "error" message comes up. So, I just quit; reopen the app, and start over (the clipboard still has my graphic). And this time it works.

So I’m constantly opening & closing Photoshop. A real pain….
L
Lundberg02
Jul 28, 2008
People in the other thread have ejected a disk.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections