E
Posted By
eliptus
Jan 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe needs to make it possible to convert Pentax K10d .pef files to DNG.

Just because the K10d is capable of writing DNG files does not mean everyone will use it which is why Adobe must consider adding this functionality.

Their are many reasons why this important but here is a couple:

1. The K10d does not write compressed DNG files which creates much larger overheads on file handling both in and out of the camera.

2. Camera manufacturers will always have a proprietry format for their cameras… they dont work for Adobe so they are unlikely to change their entire development process over to conform to Adobe’s way of thinking.

Come on Adobe you initiated DNG as a universal format… if we cant convert to it from native flavours then its hardly going to become universal is it.

Just my 2c

Elliot

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jan 30, 2007
Elliot,

First of all, you’re in the wrong forum.

Adobe Camera Raw Forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.3bb6a869>

Second, you’re jumping the gun here.

There will be a new release of ACR in the next three or four weeks (3.7), and you have no idea whether it will support your camera or not.

Please post in the right forum.
E
eliptus
Jan 30, 2007
I may be jumping the gun in your opinion but not in mine.

I have posted this here because:

1. In the specifications for Adobe’s new release of Lightroom they have excluded support for the opening of native K10d .pef RAW files. They have instead mentioned that the support can be had by using the DNG format "in" camera. If they did this with Lightroom it is very likely they will do it with Photoshop in the next release.

2. I want Adobe to be aware that Photoshop users will be expecting the ability to open K10D .pef RAW files. In doing so perhaps they can be proactive in ensuring its inclusion.

3. I want other users of Photoshop and the Pentax K10d to be aware that this may become an issue… again this allows people to discuss it and Adobe can then act proactively if they are monitoring this forum.

If you have problems with my reasoning then Im afraid we will have to agree to disagree.

Thanks

Elliot
B
Buko
Jan 30, 2007
Elliot, you are just in the wrong forum.

1. this is the photoshop user to user forum

2. Thomas Knoll hangs out in Camera RAW forum

3. The Lightroom forum is over in Adobe Labs.
R
Ram
Jan 30, 2007
we will have to agree to disagree.

That’s not just a trite cliché, it’s also a moronic cop-out. You are in the wrong forum. Period.

Anyone who uses the detestable "proactive" twice in a post is beyond redemption. :/

Lastly, Photoshop does not open RAW files. Only ACR does.
E
eliptus
Jan 30, 2007
Forums are about communication if you don’t agree you can choose not to read it.

I have also raised this potential issue in the other relevant forums you have mentioned.

If you have problems with the contents of my post please feel free to complain to the Adobe moderators.

Thanks Elliot
R
Ram
Jan 30, 2007
Yes, I saw your triple posting. Double posting and cross posting is frowned upon in these forums, Elliot. It’s also very inconsiderate.

And you should know what you can do with your unsolicited advice. I don’t need any hosts (they’re not called "moderators" here) to deal with likes of you. I manage very well on my own.

People who go out and purchase an unsupported camera without adequate research and then come whining here don’t cease to amaze me.

In the case of my Pentax *istD, I didn’t buy it until it was fully supported by my software of choice.
E
eliptus
Jan 30, 2007
In my opinion the posts are relevant to each software package and their individual users. If perhaps I could re-phrase my topic in a better way, then perhaps you could offer assistance with this rather than acting in superior manner and being abusive.

Perhaps if Adobe provided a better mechanism for me to approach them directly with my concerns then the post would not be required at all. As it stands they don’t offer a very robust method for me to do so.

I own a number of cameras and I only raised it with regard to the Pentax because it is relevant in this particular case and also has a broader relevance about the support offered for proprietary file formats that Adobe users have come to expect.

From your attitude I’m surprised you would have ever chosen the *ist D since its a camera that only ever catered to a minority market. When I purchased mine it was unsupported by Adobe and that was disappointing but it was my prefered selection. When Adobe did support it I was very pleased. Im sure that all Pentax/Adobe users would appreciate a continuation of this through the ability to open successive native .pef RAW formats.

If the post is not relevant to you then you don’t have to read it, or take the time to reply. If Adobe do feel that my post is inconsiderate to others then I am sure they will either remove it or contact me. If they choose to do either of these things then I will be happy to accept their judgement and will appologise to those concerned.

Thanks Elliot
E
eliptus
Jan 30, 2007
R
Ram
Jan 30, 2007
…if Adobe provided a better mechanism for me to approach them directly…

You missed the Contact button at the top of this page? It figures.
P
PECourtejoie
Jan 30, 2007

1. In the specifications for Adobe’s new release of Lightroom they have
excluded support for the opening of native K10d .pef RAW files. They have instead mentioned that the support can be had by using the DNG format "in" camera. If they did this with Lightroom it is very likely they will do it with Photoshop in the next release.

So switch to DNG in the meantime, and you would already have support in 150+ programs.

2. I want Adobe to be aware that Photoshop users will be expecting the ability to open K10D .pef RAW files. In doing so perhaps they can be proactive in ensuring its inclusion.

It is the case with each camera release. With more that 150 supported I think that it might not be necessary to warn Adobe… Also, you should ask Pentax to send Adobe a camera, else Adobe needs to go purchase one, create profiles… This takes time. In the past Pentax was very cooperative, and support was there at launch time (because they provided cameras beforehand).

3. I want other users of Photoshop and the Pentax K10d to be aware that this may become an issue… again this allows people to discuss it and Adobe can then act proactively if they are monitoring this forum.

Every user should check compatibility prior to purchasing the camera. Would you buy a car with a brand new engine technology before making sure that you’ll find gaz for it, then complaint that you can’t?

Again, this is the wrong forum, the best place is the ACR one, and you can be sure that Adobe won’t ignore a camera just for the pleasure. But it is to the camera makers to make sure that their camera will be supported by raw converters.
E
eliptus
Jan 30, 2007
Yes I WAS WRONG.
B
Buko
Jan 30, 2007
You don’t have to shout Elliot.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections