KC
Posted By
KEV_CHAMBERLAIN
Jan 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I may be overlooking something obvious here but…I know how to do this in Illustrator but not in Photoshop.

If I have a piece of artwork which is eg 100mm across. I want to put five equal rectangles across that artwork side by side. I know that means I need 5 x 20mm rectangles. How do I measure and set that up in Pshop?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 26, 2007
Using the Rectangle Marquee, in the Options Bar set it to Fixed Size 5 mm by 20 mm. That will give you the correct size selection which you can position, fill with color, stroke or whatever you need to do.
S
Shep123
Jan 26, 2007
Alternatively you can use the info palette (windows > info) to see the width, height, and position as you draw with the rectangular marquee tool.

On Jan 26, 4:11 am, wrote:
I may be overlooking something obvious here but…I know how to do this in Illustrator but not in Photoshop.

If I have a piece of artwork which is eg 100mm across. I want to put five equal rectangles across that artwork side by side. I know that means I need 5 x 20mm rectangles. How do I measure and set that up in Pshop?
KC
KEV_CHAMBERLAIN
Jan 26, 2007
There’s always one little bit of the Photoshop menus which I’d never noticed before.

Its obvious now.

Thanks for that
J
JeffN
Jan 27, 2007
Another option it to go to pref>grids & guides and under Grid, set the drop down to mm, and "Grid Line every" 20 hit OK.
To turn on grids use keyboard short cut…cmd+’ or view>show>grid This will give you 5- 20mm grid lines to follow. The grid can be turned on & off, and used on future doc.

You can then make a selections, etc. and the marque can be left in unconstrained and not locked into the 5x20mm fixed size.
JF
john_findley
Jan 28, 2007
Not directly related to your question, but don’t overlook the Measure tool, hidden beneath the eyedropper.
Comes in handy, sometimes.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections