Posted By
Matthew_Skeens
Jan 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi thanks for the fantastic forum,

I created a black and white texture I would like to use as a layer mask. It doesn’t let me paste it into the mask layer, does anyone have a work around for this? I select the layer and then click the mask button, and when I choose the mask window, I can draw with brush, or render clouds, but no pasting of texture. I could swear I’ve done this before, am I missing something obvious?

thanks in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 18, 2007
I have no idea why this doesn’t work (it definitely should, even across different color-modes), may You have accidentialy had some pathsegments active without noticing and just pasted those?
But if the texture is in the same document just hide all other layers, make a selection of one of the three channels (by command-clicking on it in the channels-pallette), choose the layer in question and create a layer mask.
SP
steve_peters
Jan 18, 2007
Click on the layer that contains your b/w texture, then go to channels and hold down the command key and click on the rgb composite channel, you will now have a luminosity selection. You can not either save this as a a channel or just past this selection into your layer mask.
2LT
Jan 18, 2007
also try:
press "Q" (for Quickmask)
paste
press "Q"
click on the icon of the layer to mask
press layer mask button

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections