A
Posted By
a1speaker
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
when running Photoshop 4 on my windows XP laptop – I know I should upgrade – but does anyone have a fix?

R

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Nov 21, 2006
wrote in message
when running Photoshop 4 on my windows XP laptop – I know I should upgrade – but does anyone have a fix?
R,

You’re not the oldest version here, that’s a 3!!!. How much room have you got on your harddrive?

MH
A
a1speaker
Nov 22, 2006
51 gigs free on an 80 gig hard drive… I tried to re-load the entire program & that didn’t solve anything…

R

Mike Hyndman wrote:
wrote in message
R,

You’re not the oldest version here, that’s a 3!!!. How much room have you got on your harddrive?

MH
MH
Mike Hyndman
Nov 22, 2006
wrote in message

R

MH

51 gigs free on an 80 gig hard drive… I tried to re-load the entire program & that didn’t solve anything…

R

Is this something that has started recently? Have you installed anything new prior to the problem starting? What other applications are running at the same time? Check out the processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) Whilst there, check out the Performance tab and see what the PF usage is whilst opening PS, does it max out?
Right click on My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change, how much is allocated, is it custom or system managed? If system managed try inputting values 1.5 & 3 times your installed RAM and see if problem goes away (or if PC will run ;))
No problems with spyware?
You could also have a corrupt "prefs" file, this would not be corrected with a reinstallation, you would still be using it with new installtion. To delete this file, hold down the Ctrl, Alt and shift keys whilst starting PS, if you get the timing right, you will see a dialogue box asking you if you want to delete the file, you do, a new one will be created.

Regards

Mike H
A
a1speaker
Dec 1, 2006
thanks for your help – I’ll print that out & give those fixes a try

R

Mike Hyndman wrote:
wrote in message

R

MH

R

Is this something that has started recently? Have you installed anything new prior to the problem starting? What other applications are running at the same time? Check out the processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) Whilst there, check out the Performance tab and see what the PF usage is whilst opening PS, does it max out?
Right click on My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change, how much is allocated, is it custom or system managed? If system managed try inputting values 1.5 & 3 times your installed RAM and see if problem goes away (or if PC will run ;))
No problems with spyware?
You could also have a corrupt "prefs" file, this would not be corrected with a reinstallation, you would still be using it with new installtion. To delete this file, hold down the Ctrl, Alt and shift keys whilst starting PS, if you get the timing right, you will see a dialogue box asking you if you want to delete the file, you do, a new one will be created.
Regards

Mike H

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections