W
Posted By
Wayneswhirld
Jan 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to draw a circle around some text that has a kind of casual look like crayon or marker in PS CS? I’ve tried with filters but can’t get that look. I might be able to get something like it with the brush tool, but although casual, it needs to be an evenly shaped oval.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jan 15, 2007
in the brush pallet make a hard brush set the angle and the ellipse you want.
JF
john_findley
Jan 15, 2007
Another way is to select a brush with texture, size, and scatter that most resembles a crayon, use the path tool to refine the oval shape you want, and stroke path with the brush.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 16, 2007
And yet another way might be to do it in Illustrator with one of the chalk- or charcoal-brushes (or creating a new one) and place as a smart-object. Depending on the size of the end-product they might be quite adequate.
FH
Frank_Heller
Jan 17, 2007
I’ve done it this way for markers. It is worth the effort. Take some magic markers and dab them on paper at various strengths, angles and mini strokes with a relatively dark color. Scan the results in Photoshop. Select each "dab" individually with the Wand tool (default settings will work well) and then use the Define Brush command. These textured "pentips" look quite authentic when combined with pressure, opacity and color blend brush controls for creating marker strokes.
JF
john_findley
Jan 17, 2007
That’s a great idea!
FH
Frank_Heller
Jan 19, 2007
Thank you, John.

If you use two variations of the same color with Color Variations on and Multiply as the Layer blend mode onto separate layers per marker, the fake "tips" will produce an uncanny resemblance to actual markers…particularly with build-up. The subtle edge imperfections of the process really translate well in the Define Brush process.

You need to experiment with paper type as well. You may find it convenient to scan your dabs in the same resolution as your illustration. There are enough variation possibilities in the brush editor to get some pretty stunning results.

As a marker freak, I have loved this Photoshop feature since the day I started experimenting with it.

Enjoy.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jan 19, 2007
A fast approach is to use text; something like the capital O in Marker Sans might meet your needs. The O can be modified in any number of ways to suit your needs.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections