G
Posted By
GarethGlynn
Jan 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any one else running into this: In Photoshop, when you go File/Automate/Merge to HDR, after selecting the files, there’s an option to let HDR try to automatically align images. Photoshop huffs and puffs for a minute or two, and then I get a "not enough available memory" error message. I’ve boosted Photoshop’s available memory to 100%, the cache is at 8, I’m not running *anything* else, so I should have just shy of 2GB RAM available. In addition, I have 200+ GB of scratch disk space available, so at this point I am clueless. Any ideas?

2 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.4.8

TIA,

Gareth

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

OO
Omke_Oudeman
Jan 13, 2007
First try to set available memory from 100 to 70 %, your system needs also RAM.

Second, I don’t know the automatic alignment option in HDR merge but it is always better to use a steady tripod and cable release for the shutter. Set AF to manual and use shutter speed for going from +3 to -3 stops. In this case you don’t need the automatic alignment option at all.
G
GarethGlynn
Jan 14, 2007
Already tried that, Omke. I started at 70% and it wasn’t working, which is why I tried 100. And yes, I was using all the recommended options/settings for taking the photos in the first place, but even a steady tripod tends to move when you’re out on top of a twelve story roof in Chicago when the wind is gusting at 40mph. 😉

Any other thoughts, Omke? Anyone???
R
Ram
Jan 14, 2007
Gareth,

100% will NEVER work with only 2GB of RAM. You’d have to be at around 6GB of installed RAM in order to do that.

Try 60%, and set your cache levels to 4.
OO
Omke_Oudeman
Jan 14, 2007
Gareth

I support the advise from Ramón but beside that,

I only use HDR for inside capture with a great contrast between the shadows inside and the highlights trough the windows from outside.

Assuming you did use RAW you can achieve good result with using just 1 RAW file and develop this with a light and dark version and merge both files (they obviously fit perfect because it is the same file) together to one image. I do have an action for this, if you are interested I can share it with you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections