SF
Posted By
Scott_Falkner
Jan 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m researching a new scanner purchase to replace a busted Epson Expression 1640 XL. A similar workstation has an Epson Expression 10000 XL

What we want:
* Good D-range. We’ll be scanning pictures from various sources, often crappy C-prints from cheap point-and-shoot cameras or even inkjet prints of digital images (I know!). We’d like to be able to preserve as much dynamic range as we can.

* >24 bit. Again, to preserve dynamic range and give us as much original data to work with as possible.

* Calibration. The Epsons come with Lasersoft Silverfast AI. Not bad, but a shabby interface that’s long overdue or a fix. Buggy, too. I’ve experienced bugs with every version, and there seems to be little incentive to fix them. Still, it’s better than any manufacturer’s software.

* Not Hewlett-Packard. Man, do their scanner suck, and the software is the rock-bottom worst scanning software I have ever used.

* Windows XP compatible (dammit), and Photoshop plug-in compatible.

* Batch scanning. The Epsons have a 12×18 scanning bed and, with Silverfast, I can preview and scan 8 4×6 photos in one batch. Nice, and a must-have feature.

* Firewire, preferably. USB 2 otherwise.

* Transparency adapter would be a nice plus, but I have that with the 10K, so not a huge deal.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections