RH
Posted By
robert_held
Mar 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mr. Grant Dixon gave me a few very good tips (2/27)as answers to my questions that day. One was to look up the ascii or Charcter Map on Windows in order to use characters not native to the English alphabet. I found the list, copied all the numbers go with the ‘ALT+’ , but alas nothing happens when I press and hold ALT and key in the 3 digit number. Where is my (most likely very stupid)mistake???? Thanks R.Held

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jhjl1
Mar 6, 2004
I am not positive but I believe not all fonts support all of the characters. Perhaps you could try another font and see if that helps.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Mr. Grant Dixon gave me a few very good tips (2/27)as answers to my
questions that day.
One was to look up the ascii or Charcter Map on Windows in order to
use characters not native to the English alphabet. I found the list, copied all the numbers go with the ‘ALT+’ , but alas nothing happens when I press and hold ALT and key in the 3 digit number. Where is my (most likely very stupid)mistake???? Thanks R.Held
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 6, 2004
Robert,

Prefix the 3-digit number with a zero to make it a 4-digit number… i.e. not ATL-255, but ALT-0255.

Byron
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Mar 6, 2004
I find it easier to open up the Character Map window, copy the character I need and paste it into a text layer. You can select the font you want from a drop-down list and then scroll through the characters until you find what you want.

You can activate the Character Map in WinXP by going to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map.
Bob Warren
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 6, 2004
Robert

First off, please it is only Grant as Mr anything makes me fee so old. There are two ways to do what you want. and I am sure more First you can you the Character Map to copy and paste. Second is the "ALT+" a number, but you must use the numbers on the numeric key pad not the ones above the qwerty keys. I do hope this helps

Grant
RM
Ron Minler
Mar 6, 2004
Byron Gale wrote:
Robert,

Prefix the 3-digit number with a zero to make it a 4-digit number… i.e. not ATL-255, but ALT-0255.

Byron
Also use the numbers on the number pad, not across the top of your computer.

Ron
RH
robert_held
Mar 6, 2004
Gentlemen, Thank for your nanosecond response time!
JHJl1 I also noticed in the past while on Windows that quite a few fonts do not support those non-English characters. A pity since many of those are very nice.
Byron: I shall try the 4 digit (my original mistake was to use the QUERTY numerals instead of the pad, but the 3 digit din’t work.
Bob: I shall try that system too (Charcter Map – copy-paste) My years long exeperience with computers is from a DOS based CAD, where I can move with ease, elsewhere (Windows, Photoshop elements etc)I still feel like an elephant trying to stand up on rollerskates, but only on the hind legs…
This collegiality of the recently discovered User to User forum is that keeps me rolling! THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 6, 2004
Robert, just to reinforce….don’t forget Grant’s last statement…use the "numeric keypad" not the top row of keys.

Dick
RH
robert_held
Mar 6, 2004
Genmtlemen – Grant and Dick – thanks again… I have never ever used the numeric keypad, so it ‘did not exist’ for me consciously… another mistake was also – as it turned out since – not putting "0" before the 3 digit code. As to age, dear friends, I will not see 70 again, having seen it in 2003. (A somewhat late bloomer in the Adobe world…)
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 6, 2004
Robert

Over looking the numeric pad has nothing to do with the age of the user but has to do with the length of time you have been using the computer. I made the same mistake when I first came upon this trick.

Grant
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 7, 2004
Robert,

Congratulations on being a septuagenarian. I’m not yet but getting there. I teach classes with a predominant number of 70+ people and it is a real treat and treasure to be associated with folks who still want to learn!

Dick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections