Posted By
Eduardo_J._Farias
Jan 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello designers,

I have a probably silly question about using photos. Here is the senario. I got this client from Mexico and he wants me to do an animation of a famous star in that country. He asked me to scan some pictures of here from a magazine and use those in the animation. I told him that I could not use those pictures because we did not have the rights to use them. He told me that we could if we converted them into vectores ala “illustrator’s live paint” what do you think? And what are your recommendations… I have seen this type of animation especially on channel E! They have this shows taking about Britney Spears or Brad Pitt and they use a lot of photos that seem cut out of a magazine…probably they DO pay for using those pictures….

Thank you for the feedback.

Eduardo J. Farias

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
john_findley
Jan 9, 2007
IMO and IIRC, you are right and he is wrong. As long as it is evident from looking at the image what its source is, it is protected (or should be). I’m an illustrator and I am continually being presented with copyrighted material from which to derive illustrations; unless it is material available to license (i.e. Bettmann, etc) these sources are generally unwilling to allow it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections