Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi group!

Thought I’d share this moment with you (even though it’s totally out of topic)… My Mac is here, in fact, I’m already using it to post this message ๐Ÿ™‚

The set up was easy. Actually, so easy I thought something went wrong.. haha!

It’s wonderfully fast. Now, up to installing applications. Of course, Photoshop Elements is gonna be the first (PS CS is still on order).

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 5, 2004
Hi Ray, congratulations on your new toy.
The only problem: usually as soon as one has got what one wanted all the time, it is often less fun than before owning it.
;-(

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 5, 2004
Ray

Congratulations … it is always nice to get a new shinny toy. Gives you a real warm fuzzy feeling … enjoy!

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 5, 2004
Congratulations Ray on your new arrival! Welcome to the "light" side. If you have any questions you already know where to post them and you can always email me.

And yes, I just drooled all over my keyboard. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Joe
J
jhjl1
Mar 5, 2004
Congrats Ray, I hope you enjoy it.

Have A Nice Day, ๐Ÿ™‚
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 5, 2004
Congratulations, Ray! Enjoy.
JC
Jane_Carter
Mar 5, 2004
Hi Ray, Congratulations! If I lived near you I would be right over to admire,,,,,,,, I am next, if I just can get this family argument over with, me for the iMac, husband for the G5. To be continued,,,,,
Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 5, 2004
Ray,

A new system is always a GOOD thing… Enjoy!!

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
Anything new is always a good thing ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m happy for you Ray…will you still talk to us windozers ?
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 6, 2004
Three cheers for Ray!

Hip, hip, HOORAY!!!!!

Hip, hip, HOORAY!!!!!

Hip, hip, HOORAY!!!!!

Nice, Ray. Enjoy it muchly. ๐Ÿ™‚

And, yes, Jodi, I’m sure he’ll talk to the windozers. After all, it’s just a computer!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
ya Beth, I know, it was just a silly thing to say ๐Ÿ™‚
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 6, 2004
I’m surprised nobody responded with "What do you mean JUST a computer?"!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
ya…that’s right Beth, How could you possible say that ?? ๐Ÿ™‚
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 6, 2004
What do you mean JUST a computer?

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Mar 6, 2004
it’s just a computer!

Ha Ha Beth I was just getting ready to post my response when I saw your Post #11…Well…Do I need to say it? Just a computer? We know better don’t we?

Congrats Ray…Welcome to the Mac Universe.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
where would we be ????

:p
R
Ray
Mar 6, 2004
Thanks to all !

Leen : not, it’s not happened yet. I installed PSE for OS X, then I simply had dinner (bread and pรขtรฉ, with white wine, delicious!). I’ve also tried to connect the Mac to the Windows machines, no
luck. Not that the Mac can’t talk Windows. It’s my Windows machines that simply won’t talk to anyone except the internet. They can’t even see themselves.. !! I’ll figure it out (else, I’ll have a PC for sale pretty soon!!)

And yes, Jodi, I’ll still talk Windows. In fact, I work in a Windows envrionment. And for that matter, I got several MS certifications (Office VBA and others like that). So I can’t really blindly forget my past ๐Ÿ™‚

But still, the Mac.. well… it just look and feels better, for me that is.

Now, up to installing Office X and some other softwares I got.

Grant : having new toys I believe is what I live for..! haha! Seriously, there’s an undescribable feeling that runs in my body whenever I open the box of something new. I dunno, I must sound crazy,
but I lack the words to describe this. Anyway, I was lucky coz the Mac got shipped in two seperate shipments today. First, .Mac and Apple Care, then later in the afternoon (ok, ok, I’ll admit, it was 14h57, I noted the time on the receipt, just so that I’ll be able to remember it in 5 years, when the new Mac comes in!), the G5 big black box came in. Same delivery guy. He was like "Sir, do
you think I’m gonna be back again later? ๐Ÿ™‚

Ray
CS
carl_sutherland
Mar 6, 2004
Ray,

Just hope you like your MAC 1/2 as well as I like mine. Welcome to MacUniverse where the machine never freezes even if its freezing outside or even inside. There was life for me before Mac, but then the epipheny of MacDom occurred and its been euphoria since. And, the killer tips just keep coming. The ones that bring a big smile to my face as in-"How did they ever think to do that"!

Carl
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 6, 2004
Ray,
Congrats on your new toy! I must admit I have no desire to "cross over"…I’ll stay on my PC. I suspect that it really doesn’t make much difference. As Beth said…maybe in jest, but I agree…it’s just a computer. I guess I worked for too many years in front of one of the damned things…I just can’t get excited about them at all.
Now CAMERAS…that’s different! I can get REALLY excited about a new camera! ๐Ÿ™‚ Bert
PS – I’ll be out of town (Hawaii) for a few days, so if I don’t respond to any posts, I ain’t bein’ rude…I’m just outta here!
Aloha.
Bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 6, 2004
Ray, I suppose your Windows machine won’t talk because it is jealous.

Leen
R
Ray
Mar 6, 2004
Again, thanks to all!

Bert: Can I go with you ? ๐Ÿ™‚
Leen: I’ve fixed the problem. For security reasons, I had removed the NetBios protocol (required for that sort of thing) when I installed Windows XP. Now, the funny thing is, my Mac won’t see my PCs unless the PCs established a communication with the Mac before. Anyway, the PC’s life is about to come to an end. I’m letting it be rude for the last time, it deserves that much ๐Ÿ™‚

I have a question for Mac users : what software do you use to read this newsgroup? I also wonder if
there’s an e-mail software that permits two users to be on the same account with different alias? We have one account with our ISP, but 2 aliases. What I used to do is set up a rule in O.E. to tell
it "don’t download mail if it’s not addressed to me", and my friend would do the same. Mail has all
sorts of rules, none of which permits to not download the mail if it’s directly to me.

Thanks again,

Ray
JC
Jane_Carter
Mar 6, 2004
Hi Ray, I think its easier to use the web for the forum. But also I don’t know how to use newsreaders. So when people answer, I will give it a try. I know you can put the smiley faces in the message with the e-mail option, but cant post a picture.

Love the OS X tips! I get 3 Mac magazines and they are just packed with neat tricks and tips. When I find some goodies, I will post them(yet you all probably already know about them).

Another thing that I think is important, is for all youngsters to learn both Mac and PC. I am taking lessons at our high school on PCs, and its doing me a lot of good, so I know what to understand now. Sort of.
Jane
BS
Bern_Shanfield
Mar 6, 2004
To say what Leen said a little differently by quoting Spock "Having may not be as pleasing as wanting"

With that said I’ve been a mac user since the late 80’s and it’s clearly the easiest platform to use and maintain.

Enjoy!
Bern
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 6, 2004
With that said I’ve been a mac user since the late 80’s and it’s clearly the easiest platform to use and maintain.

Careful Bern, you might find yourself in hot water for that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ray,

I did a quick search over at Version Tracker <http://www.versiontracker.com> and came up with quite a few news readers. I don’t use one myself so I can’t give a personal recommendation. You might want to post this question over at MacMentor <http://forums.macmentor.org/index.php>. If you do a search at Version Tracker do it on both "news reader" and "newsreader". I came up with different results on both searches.

I think I remember reading that you installed Office X? If so you might be able to get Entourage to work for your email. I’m not sure if it’ll do what you want as I ditched it a couple years ago in favor of Mail but it does have a lot of the same functionality as O.E. (for Mac).

If you go this route though, you lose the benefit of Mail’s spam filtering, which is hands down the best I’ve ever seen.

Keep us posted. I’m living vicariously through you and your new G5.

Joe ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: you might also want to check out Eudora for an email client. Never used it myself but lots of people swear by it.
R
Ray
Mar 6, 2004
Thanks for the information Joe, I’ve been there (versiontracker), but I can’t decide. So I wanted to learn from those who had a software already running.

So far, the G5 is more than I expected (it’s not a sales pitch here…). It boots in under 1 minute
(50 seconds I think). My PC used to take more than 4 minutes to boot. iTunes is the only iApp I’ve used so far. Quicktime is incredibly nice (my PC had some hickups running it, especially for larger
files.

The G5 is silent, very silent. In fact, I honnestly have to take my ears very close to it to hear it running.

That’s it for now!

Ray
JC
Jane_Carter
Mar 6, 2004
Silence! That is one of the things that I was really wondering about, it is important to me where we live.
We have hardly any noise pollution where we live, just birds, ocean waves if its windy, wind, and our neighbors cars.(and our dogs)
My G4 is a bit noisy, wish there was a way to measure noise, as we measure the air temperature. Jane
J
jhjl1
Mar 6, 2004
There is a way to measure noise Jane.

http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/silentpc/quietpc1/

Have A Nice Day, ๐Ÿ™‚
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
My G4 is a bit noisy, wish there was a way to measure noise, as we
measure the air temperature.
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 6, 2004
Jane

In fact there is way of measuring sound levels. The basic measurement is Bels and the more commonly used one is deciBels (dB).

Grant
JC
Jane_Carter
Mar 6, 2004
Hi Jim and Grant, Wow what a neat article! Thank you.
I realize that our fridge is by far and wide our most noisy thing! Outside here at night, it is so quiet that you can hear the baby raccoons in the woods across the street, peeping to their mother.
My G4 must be quite noisy, but its not one of the Mirror Door Wind Tunnels thank god. We do some target and trap shooting, and I always wear the most and best hearing protection that I can get my hands on. I dislike noise, probably because I’ve always lived in the countryside.
I am going to go back to the Mac store this coming week, and take a long hard look at my choice. My husband just read Rays comment on how quiet his G5 is, and he is keeping on pushing me towards the big Mac.
Jane
J
jhjl1
Mar 6, 2004
Imitate the Nike slogan and "Just Do It". There is no such thing as too much computer. There might be computers that cost too much but that is a different story.

Have A Nice Day, ๐Ÿ™‚
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
My husband just read Rays comment on how quiet his G5 is, and he is
keeping on pushing me towards the big Mac.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 6, 2004
Jodi, how did you ever find that sight with the smilies?

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 6, 2004
Bert,

don’t let the airplane door smack you on the way aboard! Bon Voyage!

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
Dick, smilies ? what smilies ?
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 6, 2004
Jodi,

Thanks,
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
tanks ? Dick, no wait, that wasn’t your head ! Just a joke…:)
T
Tel
Mar 7, 2004
I use ‘Mail’ and am subscribed to the digest form.
Clicking message links gets me to the forum in ‘Safari’, when I wish to reply.

Tel.
MM
Monica_Marquez
Mar 7, 2004
Hi Ray,
Congratulations on your computer, what a wise man you are. Trust me, you will never look back. And Jane, Jim gave you some very good advise, you can never have too much computer. Just "DO IT". The G5 is to die for!!!
Monica

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections