AJ
Posted By
Adam_J._Schaffer
Jan 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After previewing in Bridge then opening my photos in Photoshop, my pictures are becoming pixelated. I’ve zoomed in all the way in Bridge to make sure that it isn’t a problem with the original file, and it isn’t. Photoshop seems to be pixelating my pictures!

I also tried saving the pixelated photo from photoshop, then looking at it in Bridge. The newly saved photo was not pixelated like the photoshop view of it, making it seem like Photoshop isn’t actually changing the original file but merely displaying it incorrectly.

I feel like I’m missing something obvious…Any ideas?

Thanks.

~Adam

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jan 7, 2007
Have you updated to Photoshop 9.0.2 and Bridge 1.0.4.6?

What about routine maintenance?

Don’t rule out hardware issues either.

Try logging in as a different user by creating a fresh, NEW account on your Mac. If the problem disappears, your regular account is corrupted and an "Archive and Install" of the OS is in order.

See next post too.
R
Ram
Jan 7, 2007
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
AJ
Adam_J._Schaffer
Jan 8, 2007
Ramon-

Thanks for the response. I’m updated as far as I can be(in Elements), and I’ve ran the Terminal script to run the task you said, and it did not change the photo. I’ve also updated permissions and that didn’t seem to work either. Also, you should know that this is a new problem–when I was running Photoshop before none of this was happening. And it’s not major pixelation that renders that photos unviewable, it’s minor, but not so minor that it’s unnoticeable.
R
Ram
Jan 8, 2007
Adam,

Now you’ve confused me.

Are you running Photoshop 7, CS, or CS2? Or are you using Photoshop Elements?

If you’re on Elements, you should know it’s an entirely different application for which there is a separate, dedicated Adobe Photoshop Elements forum.

There are not too many folks here on this forum who are familiar with Elements. Personally I have zero experience with that application.

Please try posting in the Elements forum Β—or explain your post to include what version of the real Photoshop you are using.
R
Ram
Jan 8, 2007
Here’s the link to the Ps Elements forum:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections