"No disk in Drive D" when strarting Elements?

ML
Posted By
Marty_Landolt
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I get this message on and on when in PSE and cannot get rid of it without clicking on an on till somehow it goes away … then comes back again and again. A solution please!
Marty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
Put a disk in the drive.
Open file from another drive.
Close file, close elements.

Generally, it’s probably looking for an image you opened from that drive and closed program with image open but disk was no longer in drive.

Mac
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 5, 2004
Mac, Now I’ve gone went and done’it! I started to install PSE again without uninstalling the original. It didn’t work but instead it made my other original disappear from the ‘programs installed’. When I click on the icon for PSE I get "Could not complete your request because of a missing or invalid personalization information"
It’s times like these that make me "feel my age". Marty
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
Garsh, Marty…

You should have read here before doing something that drastic..it was more a Windows thang than an Elements thang.

At any rate, so try uninstalling now, then reinstall?

Mac
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 5, 2004
Mac, I did that, sort of…went in to uninstall and PSE was not on the list of programs. I’ll put the PSE disk in and try installing it again.
Marty, who wears her head backwards!
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 6, 2004
Marty,

Got your message on the other thread. sorry you’re having such a time of it.

Dick
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 6, 2004
Mac and Dick, I think I have PSE installed OK but can’t run it long enough to give it a good test. I did put another disk in Drive D, opened and closed it and removed it then started PSE … no good!
I did notice sometimes when I got rid of the pesty message a screen would pop up with the 56 Challenge images. So … I closed PSE…got 56 Challenge images..opened, closed it then again opened PSE
still no luck.
Once I do get rid of the message I can continue working with PSE for about 1 minute until the message appears again. Talk about challenges, this is becoming almost as bad as my ‘backup’ problems.
Marty
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 6, 2004
What IS D drive? CD?
Put something in there with images on it.
Try opening and closing an image from it in Elements.
Then open and close an image from hard drive.
Close Elements, see if fixed.

Mac
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 6, 2004
Phewwww, that’s that! I don’t know who did it but with all your suggestions and patience, I managed to scrap that devilish message and what a pleasure to get back on PSE.
I can’t tell you exactly what I did but do know that opening and closing files was part of the solution. It ended with that file "56 Challenge Images" being involved When I closed out I made sure I closed PSE before I took the zip disk out. When nothing else worked I decided to move the "56 Challenge Images" file then delete the original. I put it on a zip disk and then tried PSE again. It solved my message pop up problem so I left the hard drive file in tact.
Does this mean that I should always close out of the program before I remove the disk from the drive?
Many many thanks to all for sticking it out with me. I was so happy I stayed up to do my Photo Challenge. Ho Hum Yawn, time for bed now.
Marty
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 6, 2004
Does this mean that I should always close out of the program before I remove the disk from the drive?

Main advice on ANY Windows program is:
– never take out removeable media while you have file open from it and then close the proggie
– even safer, close any open files that were opened from removeable media before closing the proggie

Note that files opened from removeable media will show in recent file list for awhile, but that won’t matter, will just give error message if you select one and the pertinent media isn’t in the drive.

Mac
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 6, 2004
Mac, Learn something new every day! I didn’t know that and certainly have done it before. Thanks for helping me.
Marty

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections