RT
Posted By
Roger_Thorpe
Nov 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A simple question re Adobe photoshop 7 on Windows XP. Why is it that with some tif files I can copy selected areas while on other tif files I cannot. i.e. the COPY and other commands are not highlighted and hence not available on the menu.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 15, 2006
No idea. Copy should always work with selected pixels. Can you give us a better idea what exactly you are doing? Are you on a Shape Layer perhaps?
RT
Roger_Thorpe
Nov 15, 2006
Not on a shape layer. These are newly imported/converted tif images from a digital Canon. Its probably something simple to do with thec status of the image.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 15, 2006
Is the Image locked? What is the bit depth? How are you making the selection? More info would be helpful.
RT
Roger_Thorpe
Nov 16, 2006
On the layer window passing the cursor over the padlock symbol gives "indicates layer is partially locked" There is only one layer – the backgroundbut the lock symbol on the layer window isnt active so I cannot unlock it.
The images are converted tifs from a Canon DS1. Hence they are RGB files 63m, 4064X2704 pixels at 72 ppi.

The selections can be made by select all, or by the marquee tool. Both do not light the copy (or most other) symbols on the menu.
RT
Roger_Thorpe
Nov 16, 2006
And its 16bit colour. Cannot unlock the background by double clicking on it to create a layer and cannot create a new layer from background in the layer menu ("new" option not active – in fact nothing is active in that menu)
EL
Edward_L._Brown
Nov 16, 2006
The background is locked. Go to Layer and in 7.0.1 select Duplicate Layer. Then if I make a serious mistake I can simple pull it down to the trashcan and start of over. If everything is ok with the duplicate layer then since most of my work is restoration and retouching I go back to layer and select whatever I want to do next, usually I select New Adustment Layer and continue on. The only layer locked is the first one, which is the background layer.
Ed
RT
Roger_Thorpe
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks Ed but even that doesnt work because "duplicate layer" isnt available (unlit on the menu). Once I convert it to 8 bit from 16 bit -then it all works. Is the bottom line that Adobe 7.01 cannot manipulate 16bit images properly!!
EL
Edward_L._Brown
Nov 16, 2006
The background is locked. Go to Layer and in 7.0.1 select Duplicate Layer. Then if I make a serious mistake I can simple pull it down to the trashcan and start of over. If everything is ok with the duplicate layer then since most of my work is restoration and retouching I go back to layer and select whatever I want to do next, usually I select New Adustment Layer and continue on. The only layer locked is the first one, which is the background layer.
Ed
EL
Edward_L._Brown
Nov 16, 2006
Roger,
I found this tidbit in the Knowledge Base.
Click the Layer tab in the Layers palette, and then do one of the following:

— If the layer is named Background, double-click it, rename the layer in the New Layer dialog box, and then click OK.

— If the layer is named Index, change the color mode to Grayscale or RGB: Choose Image > Mode, and then select Grayscale or RGB.

— If the image is 16-bit, change it to 8-bit: Choose Image > Mode > 8-bit.

Ed
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 16, 2006
PS 7.0.1 has very little 16 bit support.

Do your main edits first then convert to 8 bit mode to complete. If you want to work in 16 bit, CS2 is well worth the upgrade price. You will then have most functions and filters available.

Chris.
B
Bernie
Nov 16, 2006
IIRC, layers were not supported in 16 bit mode back in PS7

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections