PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Feb 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This seems like a fairly pedestrian task but…

I have two versions of the same image in two layers. Next, I have created a threshold of one of the images and copied it into an alpha channel.

What I want to do now is use this alpha channel to selectively combine the two images/layers i.e. use highlights from one and lowlights from the other.

1. How do I turn the threshold image into a selection so I can feather the edges?

2. Opacity is at 100% for both layers/image because, I figure, the amount of resulting image content will be determined by the alpha channel, right?

Baby steps, please…

Even if I’m going about this in a wrong way please answer the above questions anyway (in addition to the correct procedure, of course).

Thanks muchly!

Don.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
bhilton665
Feb 21, 2004

What I want to do now is use this alpha channel to selectively combine the two images/layers i.e. use highlights from one and lowlights from the other.

1. How do I turn the threshold image into a selection so I can feather the edges?

Select > Load Selection and pick the alpha channel from the menu …

2. Opacity is at 100% for both layers/image because, I figure, the amount of resulting image content will be determined by the alpha channel, right?

You may want to experiment with different blending modes for the top image as well …

Even if I’m going about this in a wrong way please answer the above questions anyway (in addition to the correct procedure, of course).

Sounds like you are trying to do "contrast masking" to increase the apparent dynamic range … try a Google search on "contrast masking photoshop" and you’ll get a lot of good info … here’s the first one that pops up … if you have CS you might also try the new shadow/highlight tool …

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast_masking .shtml

Bill
PE
phoney.email
Feb 21, 2004
On 21 Feb 2004 14:56:22 GMT, (Bill Hilton)
wrote:

Bingo! Simply magical!

Sounds like you are trying to do "contrast masking" to increase the apparent dynamic range … try a Google search on "contrast masking photoshop" and you’ll get a lot of good info … here’s the first one that pops up … if you have CS you might also try the new shadow/highlight tool …

Yup, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. Didn’t know what it was called because I invented it myself…

I’m running PS 6 but now that I know what to search for I’ll chase up those links …

Thanks again!

Don.
ME
Mike Engles
Feb 24, 2004
Don wrote:
On 21 Feb 2004 14:56:22 GMT, (Bill Hilton)
wrote:

Bingo! Simply magical!

Yup, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do. Didn’t know what it was called because I invented it myself…

I’m running PS 6 but now that I know what to search for I’ll chase up those links …

Thanks again!

Don.

Hello

Double click on a layer. Bring up layer options. Use the sliders with the alt key to tune in the tones you want from each layer.

Mike Engles
PE
phoney.email
Feb 25, 2004
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:22:12 +0000 (UTC), Mike Engles
wrote:

Double click on a layer. Bring up layer options. Use the sliders with the alt key to tune in the tones you want from each layer.

Good tip Mike! Thanks very much.

Don.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections