LK
Posted By
Leen_Koper
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Storage problems and you think a 4Gb card is too expensive? Read this: <http://www.bensbargains.net/ktalk/1074856320,90331,.shtml> Buy a 1Gb card and you will have a cheap MP3 player too.

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EW
Ed_Wurster
Mar 3, 2004
wrote:
Storage problems and you think a 4Gb card is too expensive? Read this: <http://www.bensbargains.net/ktalk/1074856320,90331,.shtml> Buy a 1Gb card and you will have a cheap MP3 player too.
Leen

The comments on that page are discouraging. Card is soldered in?

Ed
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Mar 3, 2004
No matter if you have usb2 or firewire, it takes A REALLY LONG TIME to bring in cards of 1gig or better.

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 3, 2004
Ed, as I read somewhere, it is not soldered in.

Ralph, indeed it will take a long, long time. But how long will it take to read sixteen 256 Mb cards?

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 4, 2004
First, purchase a Creative MuVo 2 for $199 and then disassemble it. Inside, you will find the Hitachi 4GB Microdrive. There are a few more steps, so before you get started, visit these sites.

Andy Mack forum thread No. 1
Andy Mack forum thread No. 2
Digital Photography Review forum

Creative MuVo 2
G
garyheaton
Mar 4, 2004
Jodi,
Do you have any links to these sites? I run them up on google..and I get some pretty odd stuff.<LAUGH>
Thanks,
Gary~*
MR
Mark_Reibman
Mar 4, 2004
Gary,

I did a quick search at dpreview.com and came up this link. Not Andy Mack specifically but this thread discusses his idea and other links.

< http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&me ssage=7263357>
MR
Mark_Reibman
Mar 4, 2004
I thought Jodi may have had the price wrong. That’ll teach me to question anything that Jodi writes.

But sure ‘nuf.

< http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001BXCFS/ref%3Dnosi m/brianruthshom-20/002-7672292-6241617>
G
garyheaton
Mar 5, 2004
Thanks all.
I am going to order one from Amazon, and hope it is not soldered in. (I can not find anything that says if it is or not..?) I would assume they would leave it as it is, so they can sell as many of them as possible. I hope so anyway, because I dont listen to MP3s.<LAUGH>
Gary~*
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 5, 2004
The outside of the card is made of plastic; how can one solder plastic?

Leen
G
garyheaton
Mar 5, 2004
Good question Leen. That’s what I wondered as well. (Unless they soldered it to the pins directly, which would be the only way to deter anyone from desolder it anyway, I would think..?) But that seems to be the worry on the chat boards.
I can not imagine the MP3 company doing so myself, as it would cut way down on their sales, not to mention the amount of time and labor to do so. As they are the builders of the machine, I am sure they wont much care if Hitachi likes it or not.
According to what I have read on those links, the removed chip seems to work fine in my new model Canon anyway, so I am not going to worry about it. If someone can build it, someone else can unbuild it. Seeing as how I dont care if I use the shell or not..there is not much they can think up that can keep someone out of it, if you don’t care if you break the casing it comes in.
My ONLY concern would be if they epoxied the memory chip to the case to keep people from taking them out. (For warranty reasons) But again, I cant see the building company caring much either way, as long as THEY sell their product.
I put in my order with Amazon, so I will know when they finally show up. The thought of being able to shoot roughly 800 RAW images without changing cards for $200, is just too good NOT to try it. 🙂
Gary~*
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
For all concerned, it was a ‘ kevin’s dark tip…deals’ on Tech TV…he didn’t say anything about a problem getting the piece out…he did say you would have to reformat it to work in the camera. he also mentioned the abundance of empty cases sold on Ebay.. 😉 seems it’s old news.
G
garyheaton
Mar 5, 2004
Jodi,
From what I understood to be the case was..The original shipment that went out were the ones that this "trick" was discovered with, which are the ones that were being used and spoken of on the web.
Now they are on backorder awaiting the shipment of new MP3 players. Those are the ones they are worried that Hitachi will force the maker into "securing" into their players, (or that Hitachi will configure special cards with soldered connections on the new ones, just for use in these players) so that Hitachi can continue to sell their micro drives to camera users, at more than double the price of the MP3 player.
That is what the people awaiting the new shipments are worried about, from what I have read on line.
In any case, I have ordered mine, and I will see what happens when it arrives. 🙂 Gary~*
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 5, 2004
well, Gary, if all else fails you’ll have a nice christmas gift for someone 🙂 …I mean, if you aren’t into that kind of stuff….:)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections