RG
Posted By
Richard_Gallinatti
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone help me troubleshoot the fact that Photoshop Elements is not recognizing my camera when I am prompted to "Select Import Source"? I can import fine using the Olympus Camedia Master program so I know the USB Port is operational. I don’t know what else to do. I have de-installed and re-installed the software.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 3, 2004
Not all cameras are supported by Elements, and since it doesn’t store images anyway all you could do would be to preview one at a time. Most of us use a card reader and transfer the images from the card to the hard drive and then open in Elements from there. Faster, safer, and no compatibility problems! 🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 4, 2004
What Beth said…card readers are only $15, and are very easy to use. If you use a card reader you separate the upload task from the image editing task and get rid of a whole bunch of potential problems. Many people in this forum insist on importing directly into PSE, but there is no necessity to do that. I think it is much simpler to "divide and conquer."
Bert
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Mar 4, 2004
Richard,

If you aren’t on a Windows machine just ignore this (unless Macs work the same).

I’ve done this on both 98SE and XP with my Olympus D-550 and/or an inexpensive card reader from Radio Shack with PE1.

Connect the camera/card reader to the PC as usual (before opening PE). Have a target folder ready, preferably empty. (I use "Acquire New" in My Pictures. Keeps it near the top of the list.) Start PE, click File, Automate, Batch. Click Source and navigate to My Computer, Removable Disk. In my case a folder called "DCIM" with a sub-folder named "100OLYMP" appears. Select 100OLYMP as the source. Select the output file type of your choice and a destination folder. It isn’t as fast as Camedia Master but acceptable and, in my case I get instant PSD files. As I work on them I save them to organized subject folders or dump the junk. Not as neat as an Import but it gets the job done. Have not tried the other Batch Options such as rename, etc. The nice thing is that if I don’t use batch for another purpose or reset preferences Batch remembers everything for the next upload. (If the Camera/Reader is not attached it defaults to nothing.)

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections