WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I have manipulated an image using Elements if I then double clicked on the image … it opened Elements and displayed the image.

But a few days ago I installed a demo version of Photoshop and now all my Elements manipulated images default to Photoshop …. How do I stop it doing it?

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
Mar 2, 2004
Wendy,

On a PC, you manage it with Edit > File Association…

Not sure on a Mac.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 2, 2004
Wendy (you’re on Panther now, right?) highlight the icon for one of the images, go to Get Info, and look around in that box. I can’t remember exactly what it’s called, but there is a way you can change the application used to open that image and also to change to all images of that type be opened in Elements. I know it’s there someplace, but I only used it once and am not on OS X right now. It’s in there, though! You will have to do that for all images types, too, I think – like JPEG, PSD, etc.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 2, 2004
Oh Beth,

You are a star … I have been searching around every preference file on the Mac … and boy are there a lot. I never thought of Get info.

I have changed it … it also took over all the styles/gradient I have addded to Elements and changed their iconsas well .. Get info sorted that out too.

Thanks for the help
Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 3, 2004
Ah, good to know it works on the other stuff, too; I didn’t know that! Now that I think about it, I better check the image files on my computer. I put PS CS on the other day; I bet it’s now the default for all of my Elements files, too. Hmmm. Thanks for the warning!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 3, 2004
Beth,

I needed to change one in each section (brushes, gradients etc) … sometimes I had to do each individual one.

Still it all bac to normal now …

thanks for the help
Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
You know, Wendy, if this should come up again, you might try using the brushes, gradients, etc. before going to all the trouble of changing icons. Since those are items that are accessed through a menu and not by double clicking on their icon, it shouldn’t matter which program they’d been "assigned" to.

My files had been usurped by CS, so I used Get Info to change the default program for JPEGs, PSDs, and TIFFs, but I didn’t bother making any other changes. So far everything seems to be working.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 4, 2004
Hi Beth,

The brushes etc were all working … but I didn’t like the new icons 🙂 they made it look untidy ….. Silly really

What do you think of CS? …. I’m still debating (well trying to convince myself) if I should splash out and buy it.

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
Ah, so this was an "obsessive-compulsive" thing, huh?! 🙂

PS CS and I haven’t had enough time together yet for me to give you a good answer. I’m much more the "technician" in this group, instead of one of you creative types. I’ve pre-ordered Deke McClelland’s PS CS Bible, but I’m not sure exactly when it will be released and shipped. Until I get a decent book I can’t do much more in CS than I can in Elements, which means not a whole lot. I was fooling around with some 48 bit scans the other day, and what I learned was useful but interesting. If you don’t have a great photograph to begin with, you sure don’t want to scan it in 48 bit depth; all it does is add more artifacts that have to be edited out! I’m still getting used to the new computer and scanner along with CS, so most of what I’ve been doing has been pretty simple stuff.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 4, 2004
Hi Beth,

Well you sussed me out … it was an obsessive-compulsive thing!. I just wanted it to look neat and tidy.

Once you have got into CS I would love to know your views … I’m still at the I don’t need it BUT Oh I would like it stage 🙂

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
Unless you’re going to get into some high end stuff, you don’t need it. Now, "want" is another issue entirely!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 5, 2004
Beth,

Can’t make up mind if I "want" it enough … its such a lot of money.

I have a demo of Photoshop which I am using to learning different features … the idea is that once I have mastered that I will install the CS demo, play with it for a month then decide 🙂

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections