DD
Posted By
Dariel_Diestelkamp
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I add file extensions that Photoshop elements will open? I want to add the extension for Corel draw.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
..cdr?
You can rename a file to that, but I assure you Elements will not open it.
You’ll need to export a file from CorelDraw that Elements can open. If you are doing vector work in Corel, the best is .ai (Adobe Illustrator format). Then Elements will give you a choice as to what resolution at which to rasterize the file).

You understand raster/vector?

Mac
DD
Dariel_Diestelkamp
Mar 2, 2004
I thought there was a way to add file extensions that Elements would recognize. This was a file I wanted to download from the Internet and that was the only extension available. I don’t have Corel Draw.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 2, 2004
Simply naming a file with a certain extension does not make it that type of file. A TIFF file, for example, is still TIFF even if you rename it ..jpg, .cdr, .wpg, watever.

What type file are you downloading?

Mac
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 2, 2004
wrote in message
I thought there was a way to add file extensions that Elements would recognize. This was a file I wanted to download from the Internet and that was the only extension available. I don’t have Corel Draw.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 2, 2004
Dariel

If it is a CorelDraw file send it to me and tell me the how you want it saved and I will do it for you.

Grant
JP
Jack_P._Norris__Jr.
Mar 5, 2004
What is a "file type .ART"?? They will NOT open in Photo Elements or Windows fax/picture viewer. If I save it as a jpeg or tiff or gif or anything like that, then when I try to open it in Photo Elements I get some kind of error message about an invalid jpg format or something like that. What the devil is a "file type .ART???"

Jack Norris
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
..art is AOL compressed file.
Are you using AOL browser to download the pix?
Use IE if so.

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 5, 2004
I couldn’t resist, so I did a Google search for ‘file extension .art’, and here’s what I found:

ART Xara Studio drawing
ART Canon Crayola art
ART Clip Art
ART Ray Tracer file
ART First Publisher Raster graphic
ART AOL Image file compressed using the Johson-Grace compression algorithm

Just changing the extension won’t convert the format of the image, however. You didn’t get this from someone who uses AOL, did you? I just recently heard about this format on another forum, and apparently there isn’t much that will open it!

This is a challenge, so if I find anything else I’ll post again.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
ART AOL Image file compressed using the Johson-Grace compression algorithm

It’s that one.
AOhelL
– further compresses images uploaded to AOL websites to this format. – the default in AOL browser is to read the .art files
– if grabbing files from a site with AOL browser, find an option to not use .art.
– or use IE, which will give option of downloading as .art (not very useful, as image quality has been already even further compromised from the orig .jpg file that the .art was made from – although IE WILL display art file) or downloading as .bmp (best option, can then save as whatever).

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 5, 2004
And I also found this page, which adds more details to Mac’s post.

<http://members.aol.com/oldnelly77/page5.htm>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections