L
Posted By
Lundberg02
Dec 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
G4 1.33 Ghz, 10.4.8, 512 RAM(soon to be 1.5 GB)
Using PS and Preview alternately to compare the screen display and printing of an LZW TIFF (18 mb compressed). Burning DVDs in background.
Second or third opening in Preview, the image was speckled as though pixels were blank. Every subsequent open in preview the same.
Later when nothing else running, image in Preview was ok.

Not enough RAM?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 20, 2006
What version?

Remember that Apple’s Preview is not color managed —at least it didn’t use to be. I’ve not used it in ages.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 20, 2006
Preview 3.0.8.

What it looks like is that the Preview doesn’t fully open the tiff. It looks like the normal preview when it’s about half through opening.
PS opens images in tiles, and Preview opens images progressively.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
I don’t like LZW compression see how it looks with out compression.

I prefer ZIP as suggested by Bruce Fraser.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
I meant what version of Photoshop (I couldn’t care less about Preview :))

Yes, you may be running low of RAM. In fact, I’m surprised you can even get that box to run.
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 21, 2006
Buko, What’s not to like about lzw?
My understanding is that if a file has 1000 zeroes in a row, it just has a code that says ‘put 1000 zeroes here’ instead of 000000000000000000000000000000000 etc….

It’s lossless, used to trip up some apps but doesn’t any longer. Actually, isn’t zip almost the same?

Ramon, I regularly used a G4 450 with 512 until this year and it ran flawlessly, testament to the quality of the machine and the apps! I love my Macs! and….I might add, had very minimal maintenance, just repaired permissions and cron scripts and I can’t recall a significant crash in daily use for a few years. Ran CS2 OSX several apps at once plus some developmental apps….such a shame that they become obsolete while still purring along.

Actually…..we still have a G3 doing mail server duty and another running an old scanner, they both run flawlessly after almost 10 years! We just cant bring ourselves to throw one away! I can’t recall a single one that has died in 10 years.
B
Buko
Dec 21, 2006
Buko, What’s not to like about lzw? It’s lossless, used to trip up some apps but doesn’t any longer.

There is nothing really bad about LZW, Its just that I’ve run into a few examples where the image is so busy that the file actually gets larger not smaller.

Actually, isn’t zip almost the same?

They are both good ZIP always seems to reduce the file size. Of the two ZIP is probably the one that will trip up other software or RIPs, but I don’t worry about that as I only give PDFs to the printer.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections