FH
Posted By
Frank_Heller
Dec 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Put the Apple standard red/yellow/green navigation buttons back in the upper left of the palette menubars. Placing those PC-like Minimize and Close buttons directly over Options all in the upper right corner is bad GUI design.

Give us the option to use a "Master" set of brush settings so these choices can be used on the fly with any brush selection…overriding the preset options.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 18, 2006
Uh, I think you missed the Photoshop CS3 forum < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm? forumid=72&catid=626&entercat=y>…that’s what it’s there for.
D
Dirk
Dec 18, 2006
Adobe finally found a way to start moving us over to the cold confusion forum… sneaky, aren’t they…
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Dirk,

Your assumption is incorrect. Forum Operations has reassured you the Adobe labs forums are a separate thing from the Adobeforums.com.

John Cornicello, "Photoshop CS3 Beta" #80, 15 Dec 2006 12:12 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/79>
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 18, 2006
Um…I didn’t miss it. Do you have any comments regarding my suggestions or do want to continue shift focus playing forum cops?
B
Bernie
Dec 18, 2006
You can keep talking about it here, but if you go to the appropriate forum, there is a greater likelyhood that the Adobe developpers will see it and do something about it.
B
Buko
Dec 18, 2006
Um…I didn’t miss it. Do you have any comments regarding my suggestions or do want to continue shift focus playing forum cops?

There’s a Bunch of Adobe guys at the Beta forum they are answering questions. We are doing you a favor by pointing you to that forum.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 18, 2006
"Do you have any comments regarding my suggestions or do want to continue shift focus playing forum cops? "

If you bother to post in the correct forum, I may have some thoughts…but this ain’t the place for it, get it?
CB
charles badland
Dec 18, 2006
I posted the same question, in the right place, and have yet to hear any thoughts…
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
They heard us, Charles. Even John Nack felt compelled to jump in, if a little skeptically, and he’s the top Photoshop manager.
CB
charles badland
Dec 18, 2006
Well I missed that. Over in the CS3 Beta forum?
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Yup.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Just do a forum search on "abomination" over there. Sorry I can’t give you a link, those forums are so clumsy that I’ve been reduced to using a newsreader to access them.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 18, 2006
t’s a feeding frenzy in that forum. I posted there and within an hour it was already 3 pages down, unanswered. At least here, there was some sort of response.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Yup. It’s hectic over there. 😀
CB
charles badland
Dec 19, 2006
Just do a forum search on "abomination" over there. Sorry I can’t give you a link, those forums are so clumsy that I’ve been reduced to using a newsreader to access them.

Hah! I’d tried "palettes" and "minimize". Should have come up with abomination. 😉

And going over there really re-enforces my dislike for the coldfusion forums. How awful they are.
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2006
They are just the worst.

No post numbers.

Slow loading pages. and having to go to the beginning of each thread everytime you open it.
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 19, 2006
I’m with you Frank on your original post and I also agree the coldfusion forums are an abomination. I’d just as soon avoid them and continue to post over here. If people don’t want to answer, fine but I won’t be forced over to the other forum.

alan
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2006
Alan if you want any type of a constructive conversation with the people who made the app it looks like you need to go over to the crappy forums.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 19, 2006
OK…now that we reasonably agree that the CS3 forum is nothing short of Dantean…would anybody care to comment on the way the menus are set up in the beta? Anybody care to comment on the simple idea of a "master" override for paint brushes?

Actually, this brush thing has been bugging me since PS7. So I think it qualifies for CS2 treatment.
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 19, 2006
wrote:
OK…now that we reasonably agree that the CS3 forum is nothing short of Dantean…would anybody care to comment on the way the menus are set up in the beta? Anybody care to comment on the simple idea of a "master" override for paint brushes?

Actually, this brush thing has been bugging me since PS7. So I think it qualifies for CS2 treatment.

Folks- Be of good cheer re the other forums; that is, if your experience is like mine. It was unpleasant at first, but as I learned my way around, it became all right. Conversely, I find the forums here hard to use, simply because I am new to them, and don’t know my way around. Probably one reason I post mostly via usenet.

It will take getting used to, and feel like an abomination at first, but I am pretty sure once that’s past, it’ll be all right. At least I hope so.

I am not saying better than, or worse than, for either forum.

John McWillaims
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 19, 2006
The CS3 Beta forum is Anarchy and it will only compile into something worse then it is. I don’t think the engineers completely thought this out before it was released.

There are no categories which is creating nothing short of toilet paper.
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2006
and its full of idiots

saying things like.

How can Adobe release an unfinished product? I can’t work professionally like this.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 20, 2006
Hey Buko…at least you tried! I did one post and recoiled in horror. The PS CS3 forum is truly awful.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 20, 2006
creating nothing short of toilet paper>

A perfect description of the Beta Forum!

Because of the truly dreadful format, no-one reads anyone else’s post.

They just start yet another thread, on the same subject, which no-one reads or responds to before they, in turn start yet another thread on the same subject which no-one reads or responds to … and so ad infinitum.

I have given-up on both the Bridge and Photoshop CS3 Beta Forums and am just going to post my comments, and any test results or bugs, in this Forum and in the Bridge (Mac) Forum.

I shall just hope that the engineers will glean anything that is useful to them from those two places.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 20, 2006
"I shall just hope that the engineers will glean anything that is useful to them from those two places."

Exactly why I posted here in the first place.

BTW….has anyone noticed that once you install CS3b that all your CS2 files launch it? Or that all your smaller CS2 icons are overtaken by that horrible CS3 icon?
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
maybe chris cox can give us an outlet for any observations and suggestions that are realistic and helpful in getting a truly great product released on time.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 20, 2006
Perhaps I’m dense but how does the casual web surfer link to the cold-fusion forum for CS3 from the Adobe front page?

I don’t see it in the list of forums found at <http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/index.html>

In that sense it seems like an easy thing to miss.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
There is a link at the top of the main forum page.

the main link is from the Adobe lab forums page.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 20, 2006
Frank:

If you have CS2 open, all files will open in CS2.
If you want to open them in CS2 from Bridge CS3, you can do it via the Contextual Menu.

I agree that the CS3 icons are ghastly but hopefully they are only "place-holders" for the Beta version.

I find them difficult to pick quickly in my Dock but, admittedly, I do have my Dock severely miniaturized on a high-rez monitor.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
I agree that the CS3 icons are ghastly but hopefully they are only "place-holders" for the Beta version.

According to Jeff Schewe they are the final Icons.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 20, 2006
There is a link at the top of the main forum page.

Not seein it… or the Adobe labs thing either.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1K47oXWAS1LJ2VXHKC z4cVpeXF2d7U1>
JS
John_Slate
Dec 20, 2006

Must be the "less is more" concept.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 20, 2006
According to Jeff Schewe they are the final Icons. >

What?!!!

What has happened to Adobe — and their traditionally elegant sense of Design?

Don’t tell me that Adobe let Macromedia loose on another Design project after the god-awful mess that they have made of the Forums in which they have already meddled.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
Don’t tell me that Adobe let Macromedia loose on another Design project after the god-awful mess that they have made of the Forums in which they have already meddled.

Looks like it Ann.

John, look at the top of the main photoshop forum page. just above all those look here in red type things.
B
Bernie
Dec 20, 2006

I will believe it when I see it.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 20, 2006
Well, here’s an explanation of the reasons…

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/whats_up_with_the_icon. html>

Of course one can make up all sorts of reasons to justify poor decisions… The abdication of aesthetic design in favor of rather blah flash grade san serif design is lamentable!

Adobe lost it’s soul when it bought out Macromedia.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
Who really cares whether they are the final icons or not. I don’t.

its the application that we use not the Icon.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 20, 2006
Who really cares whether they are the final icons or not. I don’t its the application that we use not the Icon.

Well, I can’t say it is a deal breaker but I prefer to use tools of elegance in addition to utility. That’s why I use a Mac.
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2006
Look at it this way.

Adobe is saving money by not paying artists to design elegant icons. so they keeping the price down fro us end users. Oh wait they want $169 instead of the $149 as it should be. Does this mean some Adobe VP’s are skimming the icon design artist fee to put in his pocket?

Ahh! this crooked administration sets such a fine example for corporate America.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 20, 2006
"Who really cares whether they are the final icons or not. I don’t"

You should. When you see small details like this going to the dogs, …it should make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Short-changing the gateway icon to this program should be a warning of the mediocrity to follow. I’ve worked for enough merged corporations to recognize these subtle little roadsigns.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

And if I may be so bold….let me drag you back, screaming and kicking to my original post and direct you to my "bad GUI" suggestion. Notice anything about what they up did there? That’s not a Mac paradigm they’re trying to sell you. That’s an interface designed to placate the PC hordes…you know….the same bunch that are now presently making the CS3 forum resemble a bucket full of unfed piranhas.

That bunch.
R
Ram
Dec 20, 2006
I do like the new icons —a lot.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 20, 2006
This is what happens when a new designer comes on board and decides that their ideas are better for what ever bull shit reason they can think of. Its their job to come up with useless rationals to justify their position.

Its called advertisement and marketing.
CB
charles badland
Dec 20, 2006
I do like the new icons —a lot.

ditto.
RS
Ralph_Scherer
Dec 20, 2006
It’s called "leveraging pixels."

LOL
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 20, 2006
Adobe’s desktop brand system is a pragmatic & systematic approach to creating a cohesive functional visual language carried across our hundred products and their thousands of branded icons and screens. With a specific emphasis on clarity and legibility, this system expresses a singular focus of better enabling our customers and their work.>

etcetera, etcetera …

Utter and unadulterated BUNK (sometimes known as "Agency-Speak") to try to bull-shit your way out of the abysmally badly conceived and designed results that you have presented.

Where did Adobe find this creature?

He should be replaced before he wrecks another thing because he is rapidly destroying the superb and functional design of software that the name "Adobe" has come to epitomise.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 20, 2006
Well said, Ann. My sentiments, precisely stated.

That quote is architypical "babble-quack," sometimes known as corporate jive. It typifies the verbal obfuscation of those who attempt to mitigate a mediocre reality with a rhetoric of reasons. You might say we live in ‘The Age of Reasons.’
JS
John_Slate
Dec 21, 2006
Yeah! What Welles said!

….I think.
B
Buko
Dec 21, 2006
I just discovered a bug I think. The Beta is useless after you set type.

you must shut it down and restart then all the pallets are back to default even though there was no crash. I was using OTF Myriad Pro.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Where did Adobe find this creature?

Robert Slimbach? You have got to be kidding, Ann!
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
OK, sorry. I now see you meant Ryan Hicks:

<http://pulp.orangephotography.com/ryan/>
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Buko,

The Beta is useless after you set type.

I’ve set type on two different layers of an image without any problems. Just a few words, though.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 21, 2006
Yes, I did mean Ryan. It seems that he is a product of the Macromedia stable.

Doesn’t it seem a trifle odd that Adobe should take over a less successful company — and then let that less successful team loose to wreak havoc on Adobe’s superior products?
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Well, Ann. I like the new icons MUCH better. I thought the one with the eye and the filter was the pits. The feathers were a slight improvement.

The butterfly was just dumb.

No, Ryan Hicks has his own design firm. I have no idea if he ever worked for Macromedia.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 21, 2006
From his website it appears that he has done extensive work for Macromedia.

Anyway, I feel that the whole concept behind these terrible icons was based on the premise of finding a quick way to provide the number of icons that were required with the least amount of effort.

Here are the rest of the family:
<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/images/wheel-o%27-icons.html>

Ryan’s efforts don’t seem to be getting too many "Rave Reviews" either:

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/the_other_cs3_icons.htm l#comments> and
< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/whats_up_with_the_icon. html#comments>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 21, 2006
Already creative folks are starting to design replacement sets of icons for Adobe apps. Once they’re done, all we’ll have to do is to open up the package and replace the blah icons with creative ones in the resources folder. No problemo! Customizing is an honored tradition on Macs.

You know, I never thought anybody could make the Microsoft Office app icons look good but Adobe has succeeded!
B
Bernie
Dec 21, 2006
Oh man!
That color wheel is too much.
Ha.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 21, 2006
How much time and effort could this whole exercise have taken? More than two days?

And the fee was … ?

Oh writing the Marketing Blarney ("a pragmatic & systematic approach" etc.) might have taken a third day I suppose.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
Well, I suppose if you have the whole Creative Suite and several other Adobe programs, it would be a little more difficult to tell the icons apart. But for those of us who only have Photoshop and Acrobat, the new Photoshop and Bridge icons are most welcome.

I have to admit that looking at all those icons arranged on a color wheel was bewildering.

And Welles is right, the MS Office icons do look good by comparison.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2006
And the fee was … ?

Hmmm… maybe they used what was left over after a Macromedia contract was executed?
B
Bernie
Dec 21, 2006
Doesn’t it seem a trifle odd that Adobe should take over a less successful company — and then let that less successful team loose to wreak havoc on Adobe’s superior products?

Not to me, eveyr time to companies "merge", one companies corporate culture takes over and it usually seems to be the crappy company’s. that’s my experience anyways.

(By "merge" I mean merger, buyout, or any other mechanism by which one corp aquires another)

As for those "icons", a periodic table looks better.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Dec 22, 2006
I like them. They are easy to identify and that’s all I care about. I hated the CS2 icons even though they were aesthetically pleasing. They just weren’t that functional.

peace
L
Larryr544
Dec 24, 2006
So now when I run CS2 i get the CS3 Icons. Is that correct?
P
Phosphor
Dec 24, 2006
I’ve read a bunch about the whole icon brouhaha, but maybe I missed an explanation for this:

If this whole new system for app icons has been calculated to visually unify the entire range of Macrodobe applications, why, then, have some remained as graphic symbols and not as the Periodic-chart-letters-on-a-colored-box style??

<Yodobe>"Either do or do not, there is no half-assed."</Yodobe>
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2006
Larry,

So now when I run CS2 i get the CS3 Icons. Is that correct?

Nope; not on my system. Where are you seeing this?
L
Larryr544
Dec 24, 2006
For example an open document in CS2. The icon on the top title bar. Actually this one may have something to do with Adobe Reader 8 since these are PDF files made with CS2 and then reopend, but I’m not sure.

I’ve seen it in some dialogue boxes also. I’ll start paying more attention. I haven’t used CS3 in days since I’m doing production work.
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2006
Larry,

I’ve tried all kinds of files and I can’t reproduce the issue. Images retain the CS2 icons here when working with CS2.

If you care to send me one of the problem files, I’ll be glad to look at it.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 25, 2006
I haven’t been following this but a master set of brushes is a good idea it would nice to be able to tell PS to save the last five or seven brushes I used so I can access it from the cursor rather than going to a dialog. It is funny when I first suggested this it was totally ignored.

Folk you don’t get what you want unless you back it in writing so when you see a god idea back it up.

Then the palettes are elegant but will take time to get used to. I can remember when I first looked at an Adobe palette and said how in heavens name am I supposed to no that those fun things at the bottom meant something. Perhaps the x for closing the palette has to be bold or colored red. But when you get use to it and in the next version when they make it bold or red you will then say it is os elegant the way it was because you instinctively know where to go…why did they make if BOLD it is so distracting…and so on and so on.

Oh, yes let me apologize in advance to all of you who have never had a problem understanding the interface and especially to those who have never had any problems with photoshop ever, and have a lovely Christmas Ann.
P
Phosphor
Dec 25, 2006
RE: The palettes…

Photoshop was THE application that taught me to click on everything, every widget, every tiny icon, every arrow, every menu item, every dialog box…EVERYTHING.

And then, to do the same thing while trying out the modifier keys in various combinations.

This kind of boundless exploration is now a natural part of how I learn the ins and outs of every application.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 25, 2006
More brush code is a waste of engineering time.
L
Larryr544
Dec 25, 2006
Ramon – I just created a new file (file > new) and the window opens with the CS3 icon at the top. I did a save for the web and the correct Image Ready icon is at the top of that window. I’ll keep checking. And in some places I get the CS2 icon.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 25, 2006
"More brush code is a waste of engineering time."

No it isn’t. Not to those of us who happen to use brushes all the time. The present brush implementation has been rendered non-intuitive since PS7. A simple "master" setting would solve the largest "paint as you go" problem.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 25, 2006
Frank,

use what you have.

There are more important things to get implemented.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 25, 2006
Frank

Mike is a printer he does not do retouching or artwork or anything other than print and probably doesn’t do much work in Photoshop at all.

So my Christmas present to you is that knowledge.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 25, 2006
"use what you have" "There are more important things to get implemented. "
Sez you. Who died and made you the final arbiter of what is important and what isn’t in this program? I know for a fact that there are many people out there who would like to see this feature REINSTATED into the program.

If there are more important matters to be dealt with: Start another thread on the subject. No one uses this program exactly the same way as you, Mike. Seriously: get a grip.

The solution I suggest is simple and elegant. And most importantly: extremely useful for people with a talent for natural painting without having their "touch" interrupted every time they need to switch brushes.

And for those of you who love brushsets…this won’t hurt your workflow one iota. It enhances the featureset…not the other way ’round.
B
Buko
Dec 25, 2006
Frank what good are those brushes if the people who output the work can’t do their job because the engineers wasted all their time making fancy brushes.

It all depends on how you view it.

Start another thread on the subject.

Who made you the thread police?

Deja Vu all over again. B)
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 25, 2006
Frank you will get what you want but not this time around. But it is inevitable.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 25, 2006
Wade,

your ignorance is bliss as usual.

I do image reconstruction on a daily basis – creating images by painting them from NOTHING.

wake up and listen once in a while.

MO
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 25, 2006
I wish you luck in your photographic endeavors. And as with all printers you are…well at least in your mind…designer, art directors, photographers and now artists.

Considering all the time printers spend doing all of these other things it is no wonder no one can get a descent color match…anywhere on this planet.

I dream of the old days when printers where actually printers and you could get a decent match. Now you hind behind this color profile nonsense and of course your excuse I was constructing images from scratch by painting them from NOTHING.

Nothing! You’re probably right.

I don’t truthfully know if you are good or not good printer. I have no way of knowing.

But I know from what you right here is that you do not know how photographers work and probably don’t really understand the concerns of designers as well.

You might want to consider taking a look at the way other people work and have a little sensitivity towards it.

But I assure you that Frank is more than likely going to get what he wants and you can’t do anything about it but make you usual noise.

For what is worth I say this is a very good idea and will help every one work better.

Merry Christmas!
B
Bernie
Dec 25, 2006
Now you hind behind this color profile nonsense

Spoken like someone who really does not know colour management.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 26, 2006
…."what good are those brushes if the people who output the work can’t do their job because the engineers wasted all their time making fancy brushes."

Is there an actual question in there? I don’t know what to make of what you are trying to say.

"Who made you the thread police?"

Taken out of context, and particularly in the manner in which you framed it, it could read that way. That wasn’t my intention. If Mike thinks he has a better way to redirect the engineering resources at Adobe, have at it. I think it is a subject that requires its own thread.

BTW, I find your "thread police" comment a funny thing to say to me, particularly after you and a few others initially tried to steer me out of this thread altogether….that is until you all figured out that the CS3 forum really does suck eggs.

And then what happened? This thread got hijacked into a discussion of icons. Did I complain then? Well, I’m not complaining now.

I am actually grateful that there is some, hell, any discussion on the two points I originally framed in the lead post. And that would be:

I’d like to see a simple work flow preference added to the Brush palette and the Palette navigation widgets conform to the Mac OSX standard, the way they do now in CS2. Navigation on the left and contextual options on the right. What’s wrong with that?
B
Buko
Dec 26, 2006
BTW, I find your "thread police" comment a funny thing to say to me, particularly after you and a few others initially tried to steer me out of this thread altogether…

Well I thought you actually wanted to talk to the people who were working on CS3 and converse with them. I may not like the forum and think it really sucks but I have still been over there trying to help and give constructive criticism as well as communicating with the Adobe engineers. If you have something worth while to say that is the place to go.

This thread got hijacked into a discussion of icons.

That’s because any discussion here is useless when it comes actually doing some good that Adobe might glean from your Ideas. This is not the beta forum. So we might as well discuss anything that comes to mind since this is a basically useless thread.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 26, 2006
It’s only useless if you want to make it useless.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 26, 2006
Frank,

Buko is right.

If you feel strongly – join the CS3 Beta forum.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 26, 2006
Now why would I want to do that? That was a waste of time. On the other hand, posting over here has not been a complete waste of time. I’m willing to bet at least one PS developer will see this thread before it scrolls off. It’s impact may very well resonate to the right person.

BTW, posting over there felt like what Olivia DeHavilland must’ve felt like when she woke up in "The Snake Pit". The noir imagery of that film perfectly describes the CS3 beta forum to a "T’.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 26, 2006
well, thats what the real world of develpment is all about.

Just wear hip hugger boots when in the pit~!

;O)
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 26, 2006
Spoken like someone who really does not know colour management.

Wow! That stung!

I think you are correct Frank and I hope as well that it is noticed I don’t know what is going on on the PS CS 3 Beta forum, but it did not look appealing.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections